Numerical Analysis on the Phenomenon of Absorptive Bistability in Quantum Cascade Lasers
A detailed numerical analysis on the phenomenon of absorptive bistability in mid infrared quantum cascade lasers (QCLs) is carried out by solving the standard two-level rate equations for the gain and absorber sections of the laser concurrently. This analysis accounts for the steady state and dynamic behavior of the bistable QCL containing two semiconductor elements. The dependence of threshold current, Steady state photon number, electron number in different levels of gain and absorber sections, hysteresis width on the biasing currents in both the sections are investigated thoroughly. This study also accounts for a reduction in threshold current from 1.21 to 0.9 A as the absorber current is increased from 0 to 10 mA. The bistable behavior is also realized by providing a current pulse of amplitude 0.2 A dc biased at 1.2 A. The output is switched off by injecting a negative pulse of amplitude 0.5 A dc biased at 1.2 A.
- 3.W.H. Ng, E.A. Zibik, M.R. Soulby, L.R. Wilson, J.W. Cockburn, H.Y. Liu, M.J. Steer, M. Hopkinson, Broadband quantum cascade laser emitting from 7.7 to 8.4 μm operating up to 340 K. J. Appl. Phys. 101(4), 046103-1–046103-3 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.C. Qi, X. Shi, S. Ye, J. Jiang, Circuit model of quantum cascade lasers for simulation of influence of doping density, in IEEE International Conference of Electron Devices and Solid-State Circuits (EDSSC) (2013), pp. 1–2Google Scholar
- 10.C. Qi, X. Xia, X. Shi, S. Ye, Circuit-level thermal model of intermediate infrared quantum cascade lasers, in IEEE International Conference of Electron Devices and Solid-State Circuits (EDSSC) (2013), pp. 1–2Google Scholar
- 11.W. Zhou, S. Liu, J. Wu, X. Zhang, W. Tang, Equivalent Circuit level model and improvement of terahertz quantum cascade lasers. Quantum Electron. 4(44), 289–293 (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.M. Ganesh Madhan, P.R. Vaya, N. Gunasekaran, A new bistable laser diode configuration for all optical switching. IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett. 11(6), 644–646 (1999)Google Scholar