Design, Modeling and Simulation of Square Diaphragm Based, Piezoelectric (AlN) MEMS Acoustic Sensor for High SPL Measurements
This paper reports the aluminum nitride (AlN) based piezoelectric MEMS acoustic sensor for aeroacoustic applications. The acoustic sensor reported, is square diaphragm based, which is easy to fabricate. Thin film AlN is considered as the sensing layer to exploit the property of CMOS process compatibility. The structure dimensions are chosen to have the cut-on, cut-off and resonance frequency of 20 Hz, 10 kHz and 45 kHz respectively. The sensitivity of the sensor is 103 and 84 µv/Pa in case of central and outer annular electrode pattern respectively. Furthermore a generic lumped model of square diaphragm based acoustic sensor is also reported. The results thus obtained from lumped model simulation using MULTISIM 13.0 and distributed model simulation using Comsol-Multiphysics are in good agreement with the experimentally obtained results, which validates the lumped model of the square diaphragm based acoustic sensor.
The authors wish to thank Director, CSIR-CEERI, Pilani, India for providing the platform for research work. They would also like to thank, Dr. Samaresh Das (Asst. Prof. Centre for Applied Research in Electronics, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, India-110016) for his encouragement and support.
- 2.D.P. Arnold, S. Gururaj, S. Bhardwaj, T. Nishida, M. Sheplak, A piezoresistive microphone for aeroacoustic measurements, in Proceedings of ASME IMECE, International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (New York, 2001), pp. 281–288Google Scholar
- 3.D.T. Martin, Design, fabrication, and characterization of a MEMS dual-backplate capacitive microphone. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Florida, 2007Google Scholar
- 4.M.D. Williams, Development of a MEMS piezoelectric microphone for aeroacoustic applications. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Florida, 2011Google Scholar
- 6.H.J. Zhao, T.L. Ren, J.S. Liu, L.T. Liu, Z.J. Li, Fabrication of high quality PZT-based piezoelectric microphone, in 12th International of Conference on Solid State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems, (Boston, MA 2003), pp. 234–237Google Scholar
- 8.R.J. Littrell, High performance piezoelectric MEMS microphones. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2010Google Scholar
- 12.E.S. Kim, Integrated microphone with CMOS circuit on a single chip. Ph.D. dissertation, EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, 1990Google Scholar
- 13.Minhang Bao, Analysis and Design Principle of MEMS Device Handbook (Fudan University, Shanghai, 2005)Google Scholar
- 14.M. Serridge, T.R. Licht, Piezoelectric Accelerometer and Vibration Preamplifier Handbook (Brauel and Kjaer, 1987)Google Scholar
- 15.F. Xu, R.A. Wolf, T. Yoshimura, S. Trolier-McKinstry, Piezoelectric films for MEMS applications, in 11th International Symposium on Electrets, pp. 386–396 (2002)Google Scholar
- 17.D.S. Arya, M. Prasad, C.C. Tripathi, Design and modeling of a ZnO-based MEMS acoustic sensor for aeroacoustic and audio applications, in 2nd International Symposium on Physics and Technology of Sensors, (ISPTS-2) (IEEE Press, CMET-Pune, Maharashtra, India, 2015)Google Scholar