Investors’ Perspectives on Sustainability
In the previous chapters, we noted how the financial industry in general, and institutional investors in particular, have started to imbed environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors and UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) into their valuation and portfolio management methodologies. In effect, the industry is acknowledging the fact that companies actively managing relevant ESG parameters are not only controlling their risk exposure better but also constructing more sustainable futures, with both dimensions leveraging each other to increase valuations. In this chapter, we elaborate on this rationale by looking at how major financial investors have adopted sustainability, either by incorporating the principles in their practices or by developing investment schemes around it. For this, we have sequentially reviewed the worlds of venture capital, private equity, hedge fund and mutual fund managers, with examples in each. We successively document how the various investor classes incorporated ESG metrics into their value creation arsenals, dedicating investments and personnel to the pursuit of higher goals.
- 1.Bocken, N.M.P. (2005) Sustainable venture capital: Catalyst for sustainable start-up success? Journal of Cleaner Production.Google Scholar
- 2.Hall, J., Daneke, J., Lenox, M. (2010) Sustainable development and entrepreneurship: past contributions and future directions. Journal of Business Venturing.Google Scholar
- 3.European Commission (2012, October 29) Small Companies, Big Ideas. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/environment/ecoap/about-eco-innovation/policies-matters/eu/20121029-small-companies-big-ideas_en
- 4.Airbnb (2017) Airbnb fast facts. Retrieved from https://press.atairbnb.com/app/uploads/2017/08/4-Million-Listings-Announcement-1.pd
- 5.Zipcar (2014) Who Exactly Is the Car Club Type? http://www.zipcar.co.uk/is-it. Accessed May 2018.
- 6.Airbnb (2014) New Study Reveals a Greener Way to Travel: Airbnb Community Shows Environmental Benefits of Home Sharing [Press release]. Retrieved from https://de.airbnb.com/press/news/new-study-reveals-a-greener-way-to-travel-airbnb-community-shows-environmental-benefits-of-home-sharing
- 7.Chafkin, M. (2014, July 4) A Broken Place: The Spectacular Failure of The Startup That Was Going to Change the World. Fast Company. Retrieved from https://www.fastcompany.com/3028159/a-broken-place-better-place
- 8.Katapult Accelerator (2017) Katapult Accelerator details. http://katapultaccelerator.com/. Accessed 17 May 2018.
- 9.Preqin (2015) 2015 Preqin Global Private Equity & Venture Capital Report. Retrieved from http://docs.preqin.com/reports/2015-Preqin-Global-Private-Equity-and-Venture-Capital-Report-Sample-Pages.pdf
- 10.Aster Capital (2018) Aster hub. http://aster.com/hub-2/. Accessed 17 May 2018.
- 11.Breakthrough Energy (2018) Breakthrough Energy Ventures. http://www.b-t.energy/ventures/. Accessed 16 May 2018.
- 12.Chrysalix Venture Capital (2018) Our methodology. http://www.chrysalix.com/methodology/. Accessed 8 May 2018.
- 13.Demeter (2017) 2017 ESG report. Retrieved from http://demeter-im.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/2017-ESG-Report.pdf
- 14.eCAPITAL (2018) About eCAPITAL. https://ecapital.de/en/. Accessed 4 May 2018.
- 15.EcoMachines ventures (2017) About EcoMachines Ventures. http://ecomachinesventures.com/. Accessed 5 May 2018.
- 16.Bernow, S., Klempner, B., Magnin, C. (2017, October) From ‘why’ to ‘why not’: Sustainable investing as the new normal. McKinsey & Company. Retrieved from https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/private-equity-and-principal-investors/our-insights/from-why-to-why-not-sustainable-investing-as-the-new-normal
- 17.Lewis, A. (2017, November 15) PE hold times keep going on. PitchBook. Retrieved from https://pitchbook.com/news/articles/pe-hold-times-keep-going-up
- 18.Roberge, M.W., Flaherty, J.C., Almeida, R.M. et al. (2017, July) Lengthening the investment time horizon. https://www.mfs.com/content/en_us/mfs-insights/lengthening-the-investment-time-horizon.html. Accessed 25 March 2018.
- 19.Larsen, K. (2016, May 10) KKR, Carlyle Group and private equity’s sustainability evolution. Greenbiz. Retrieved from https://www.greenbiz.com/article/kkr-carlyle-group-and-private-equitys-sustainability-evolution
- 20.Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (2018) KKR Today. http://www.kkr.com/kkr-today. Accessed 19 April 2018.
- 21.This case is an abridged version of TUMI and the Doughty Hanson Value Enhancement Group (IMD-3-2299) Copyright © 2018 by IMD—International Institute for Management Development, Lausanne, Switzerland (www.imd.org). No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of IMD.
- 22.PricewaterhouseCoopers (2014) Why Sustainability is essential for Private Equity Houses? Retrieved from https://www.pwc.lu/en/sustainability/docs/pwc-pe.pdf
- 23.Agrawal, T. & Pandey, A. (2012, April 20) Luxury bag maker Tumi surges in market debut. Reuters. Retrieved from https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tumi-ipo/luxury-bag-maker-tumi-surges-in-market-debut-idUSBRE83I1DJ20120420
- 24.Wei, D. & Chang, R. (2016, March 3) Samsonite to buy Tumi for about $1.8 billion in biggest deal. Bloomberg. Retrieved from https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-03/samsonite-nears-deal-to-buy-luggage-maker-tumi-wsj-reports
- 25.DH Private Equity Partners (2016, March 8) Doughty Hanson to sell remaining Tumi shares [Press release]. Retrieved from http://www.dhpep.com/news-and-notices/news/2016/08-03-2016
- 26.Private Equity International (2015) Dealing with the elephant. The Responsible Investment Special 2015. Retrieved from https://www.act.is/media/1318/private-equity-international_the-responsible-investment-special-2015.pdf
- 27.Franck, T. (2018, April 27) Social and sustainable investing gets a boost from an unlikely source: Wall Street activists. CNBC. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/27/social-investing-gets-a-boost-from-an-unlikely-source-activists.html
- 28.The Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment (2017) SIR Basics. https://www.ussif.org/sribasics. Accessed May 26, 2018.
- 29.Herbst-Bayliss, S. (2018, April 17) Activist investor Jana hired staff for socially responsible fund. Reuters. Retrieved from https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hedgefunds-jana/activist-investor-jana-hired-staff-for-new-socially-responsible-fund-idUSKBN1HO200
- 30.This case is an abridged and edited version of the eMBA case assignment by Claudio Mellace, Etienne Zeller and Laurent Gaye (IMD eMBA June 2018) conducted with CADMOS and its engagements funds under the supervision of Professor Benoit Leleux. Copyright © 2018 by IMD—International Institute for Management Development, Lausanne, Switzerland (www.imd.org). No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of IMD.
- 31.The Boston Consulting Group (2017) Total Societal Impact: A new lens for Strategy. Retrieved from https://www.bcg.com/Images/BCG-Total-Societal-Impact-Oct-2017-R_tcm36-174019.pdf