Patterns of Frontrunners
Peter Bakker, President of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), is an expert with one of the best seats in the house to witness the evolution of the corporate world. WBCSD is a global, CEO-led organization of over 200 leading companies representing combined revenues of more than €9 trillion with more than 19 million employees. From that prime position, Bakker used powerful words to stress the mounting inevitability of sustainability-based transformation. In Bakker’s view, companies simply need to start changing much faster.
- 1.World Business Council for Sustainable Development website, Retrieved 01 April 2018. “We must reboot the financial system to deliver the SDGs” Bakker, P. (2017, December 1). Retrieved from https://www.wbcsd.org/Overview/News-Insights/Insights-from-the-President/We-must-reboot-thefinancial-system-to-deliver-the-SDGs
- 2.Riley, C. (2017, September 29) Volkswagen’s diesel scandal costs hit $30 billion. CNN Money. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/29/investing/volkswagen-diesel-cost-30-billion/index.html”
- 3.Calne, J. (2015, October 1) Volkswagen emission scandal: what “diesel-gate” means for VW owners. The Independent. Retrieved from https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/motoring-news/volkswagen-emissions-scandal-what-diesel-gate-means-for-vw-owners-a6675376.html
- 4.Statistica (2017) Volkswagen’s worldwide vehicle sales from 2006 to 2017 (in millions). Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/272049/worldwide-vehicle-sales-of-volkswagen-since-2006/
- 5.CDP (2018) About us. https://www.cdp.net/en/info/about-us. Accessed 16 April 2018.
- 6.Glauser, M.J. (1998, October 1) Glorious Accidents: How Everyday Americans Create Thriving Companies. Salt Lake City, UT: Shadow Mountain.Google Scholar
- 8.Source: MIGUEL TORRES: ENSURING THE FAMILY LEGACIES (IMD-3-2162).Google Scholar
- 9.Van der Kaaij, J. (2015, April 27) Steering Clear of the Sustainability Reporting Trap. INSEAD Knowledge Blog. Retrieved from https://knowledge.insead.edu/responsibility/steering-clear-of-the-sustainability-reporting-trap-3978
- 10.WBCSD (2018) Insights from the Reporting Exchange: ESG reporting trends. Retrieved from http://docs.wbcsd.org/2018/02/Reporting_Exchange_Report_ESG_reporting_trends_2017.pdf
- 11.Kiron, D., Unruh, G., Kruschwitz, N., et al. (2017) Corporate Sustainability at a Crossroads: Progress Toward Our Common Future in Uncertain Times. Cambridge, MA: Sloan Management Review Association, MIT Sloan School of Management.Google Scholar
- 12.Interface (2017, May 23) Let’s start the climate takeback [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from https://www.slideshare.net/Interface/lets-start-the-climate-take-back
- 13.Kløverpris, J.H., Ahmed, N., & Hunter, M. (2017, March) The Acre Study, Unlocking new potential in the agricultural value chain with biosolutions. Retrieved from https://www.novozymes.com/en/news/news-archive/2017/03/more-from-one-acre-new-report
- 14.WBCSD (2017, January 18) Sustainability and enterprise risk management: The first step towards integration. Retrieved from https://www.wbcsd.org/Projects/Non-financial-Measurement-and-Valuation/Resources/Sustainability-and-enterprise-risk-management-The-first-step-towards-integration
- 15.GRI (2016). “Defining What Matters, Do companies and investors agree on what is material? Mining, Metals and Electric Utilities.” Retrieved from https://www.globalreporting.org/resourcelibrary/GRI-DefiningMateriality2016.pdf