Human Security in Practice: The Case of South Korea
This chapter discusses the acceptance of human security by the “ODA community” in South Korea. The authors examine official documents, academic publications, and interviews with stakeholders, to see whether the term “human security” was explicitly or implicitly used. The result shows that even though the South Korean government does not use the term very often, it has embraced the three freedoms, protection, and empowerment in its official development assistance (ODA) policies. While it is not clear whether the idea of human security has been fully implemented in ODA activities, it is noteworthy that the term has been explicitly used by the South Korean government. The chapter concludes by mentioning the possible utility of the concept with regard to future situations around North Korea.
- EDCF (Economic Development Cooperation Fund). 2014a. About EDCF: Policy Direction of EDCF. Accessed 19 July 2014. http://www.edcfkorea.go.kr/edcf/intro/idea.jsp
- ———. 2014b. About EDCF Projects. http://www.edcfkorea.go.kr/edcf/job/kind/fund_devel.jsp. Accessed 19 July 2014.
- Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee. 2013a. MOFA Current Affairs Report. Working Paper from 316th Provisional Meeting (MOFA). http://uft.na.go.kr/site. Accessed 19 July 2014.
- ———. 2013b. National Auditing Report of the Committee (Summary Report). http://uft.na.go.kr/site?siteId=site000001025&pageId=page000002431&bd_mode=read&bd_pageNumber=1&bd_searchTerm=&bd_searchKeyword=&bd_recordId=2014010040520. Accessed 26 June 2014.
- ———. 2014. Overview of the Committee. http://uft.na.go.kr/site?siteId=site000001025&pageId=page000002317. Accessed 30 July 2014.
- Geun-hye, Park. 2012. Presidential Candidate of the Saenuri Party, Park’s Policies on Foreign Policy, National Security and Unification. News 1, November 5. http://news1.kr/articles/?880552.
- Howe, Brendan. 2012. Lessons Learned for Promoting Human Security in North Korea. The Korean Journal of Defense Analysis 24 (4): 483–489.Google Scholar
- KOICA (Korea International Cooperation Agency). 2014a. KOICA Projects. http://www.koica.go.kr/. Last Accessed 20 July 2018.
- ———. 2014b. ODA: Glossary of International Development Cooperation Terms. http://www.koica.go.kr/. Last Accessed 20 July 2018.
- ———. 2014c. ODA: History of Development Aid. http://www.koica.go.kr/. Last Accessed 4 Apr 2018.
- ———. 2014d. ODA: Objective of Development Aid. http://www.koica.go.kr/. Last Accessed 4 Apr 2018.
- ———. 2014e. ODA: Strategy of South Korea’s Development Aid. http://www.koica.go.kr/. Last Accessed 4 Apr 2018.
- Lee, Myung-bak. 2008. Focus on Environment and Human Rights as Part of Human Security. Dailian, January 17. http://www.dailian.co.kr/news/view/98118
- Lee, Shin-wha. 2013. Analysis of South Korea’s Contribution to Peace-Keeping Operations. The Journal of Asiatic Studies 56 (2): 188–225.Google Scholar
- MOFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of South Korea). 2008. The South Korean Government’s Views on Human Security. http://www.mofa.go.kr/webmodule/htsboard/template/read/korboardread.jsp?typeID=6&boardid=102&seqno=316170&c=&t=&pagenum=1&tableName=TYPE_DATABOARD&pc=&dc=&wc=&lu=&vu=&iu=&du=. Accessed 14 July 2014.
- ———. 2014a. Development Cooperation. http://www.mofa.go.kr/trade/development/index.jsp?menu=m_30_130. Accessed 1 June 2014.
- ———. 2014b. Establishment of National Action Plan for the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security. http://www.mofa.go.kr/news/pressinformation/index.jsp?mofat=001&menu=m_20_30&sp=/webmodule/htsboard/template/read/korboardread.jsp%3FtypeID=6%26boardid=235%26tableName=TYPE_DATABOARD%26seqno=350441. Accessed 5 June 2014.
- ———. 2014c. ODA Propelling System and Support Status. http://www.mofa.go.kr/trade/development/propulsion/index.jsp?mofat=001&menu=m_30_130_20. Accessed 1 June 2014.
- ———. 2014d. Overseas Emergency Relief. http://www.devco.go.kr/contents.do?contentsNo=45&menuNo=255. Accessed 5 June 2014.
- ———. 2014e. Policy Direction of South Korea’s Development Cooperation. http://www.mofa.go.kr/trade/development/policy/index.jsp?mofat=001&menu=m_30_130_10. Accessed 1 June 2014.
- ———. 2014f. The Framework Act on International Development Cooperation. http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=142005&efYd=20140101#0000. Accessed 5 June 2014.
- Moon, Jae-in. 2012. The New Politics Alliance for Democracy. Speech by the Presidential Candidate, Jae-in Moon at the Press Interview with the Seoul Foreign Press Club. http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=123&oid=305&aid=0000010342. Last Accessed 19 July 2018.
- MOSF (Ministry of Strategy and Finance). 2014. South Korea as the Top Country with the Highest Increasing Rate of ODA Size among the OECDDAC Members in the Last 5 Years. Policy Briefing. http://www.korea.kr/policy/diplomacyView.do?newsId=148776676&call_from=naver_news. Accessed 8 Apr 2014.
- New Politics Alliance for Democracy. 2014. Doctrine, Platform Policies. http://npad.kr/?page_id=265. Accessed 20 June 2014.
- PMO (Prime Minister’s Office). 2010a. Mid-term ODA Policy for 2011–2015. http://odakorea.go.kr/ODAPage_2012/T02/L01_S04.jsp. Last Accessed 21 Dec 2017.
- ———. 2010b. Strategic Plan for International Development Cooperation (Strategic Plan). http://odakorea.go.kr/hz.blltn.PolicySl.do?bltn_seq=105&sys_cd=&brd_seq=9&targetRow=31&blltn_div=oda&searchKey=01&keyword=. Last Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- ———. 2014. ODA White Paper. http://odakorea.go.kr/hz.blltn.PolicySl.do?bltn_seq=158&sys_cd=&brd_seq=9&targetRow=&blltn_div=oda&searchKey=01&keyword=. Last Accessed 20 Apr 2018.
- Yun, Byung-se. 2013. Opening Remarks. Speech at the New Strategic Thinking: Planning for Korean Foreign Policy Conference. http://www.mofa.go.kr/webmodule/htsboard/template/read/korboardread.jsp?typeID=9&boardid=749&seqno=301856. Accessed 28 Apr 2013.
- Government Source #1. 2014. Expert Advisor from the Prime Minister’s Office. Interviewed by the author (mailed questionnaire), July 9.Google Scholar
- Government Source #2. 2014. Deputy Director of the Ministry of Strategy and Finance (MOSF). Interviewed by the author (mailed questionnaire), July 11.Google Scholar
- Academia Source #1. 2014. Professor at Ewha Womans University. Interviewed by the author in Seoul, July 10.Google Scholar
- Academia Source #2. 2014. Professor at Kyung Hee University. Interviewed by the author in Seoul, July 7.Google Scholar
- Civil Society Organization Source #1. 2014. Director of Advocacy team at World Vision Korea. Interviewed by the author in Seoul, July 7.Google Scholar
- International Organization Source #1. 2014. Head of the UNWFP Korea Office. Interviewed by the author in Seoul, July 7.Google Scholar
- International Organization Source #2. 2014. Head of IOM Korea. Interviewed by the author in Seoul, July 4.Google Scholar