Further Educations: Transformative Teaching and Learning for Adults in Times of Austerity
In this chapter, a decade on from the financial crisis that heralded the introduction of austerity measures in the UK, we will outline our perspective on the impact of cuts on adult participation in further education.
- Ball, S., Maguire, M., & Macrae, S. (2000). Choice, Pathways and Transitions Post-16: New Youth, New Economies in the Global City. London: Falmer Press.Google Scholar
- Bauman, Z. (1987). Legislators and Interpreters: On Modernity, Postmodernity and Intellectuals. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Bauman, Z. (1998). Globalization: The Human Consequences. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Beck, U. (1992). Risk Society: Towards a New Modernity. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Becker, G. S. (1993). Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis with Special Reference to Education. London: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Boeren, E. (2016). Adult Lifelong Learning Participation. London: Springer.Google Scholar
- British Educational Research Association. (2011). Ethical Guidelines for Educational Research. https://www.bera.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/BERA-Ethical-Guidelines-2011.pdf?noredirect=1. 29 January 2018.
- Davies, W. (2014). The Limits of Neoliberalism. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Dorling, D. (2011). Injustice: Why Social Inequality Persists. Bristol: Policy Press.Google Scholar
- Duckworth, V., & Smith, R. (2017). Further Education in England—Transforming Lives and Communities: Interim Report. London: University and College Union.Google Scholar
- Duckworth, V., & Smith, R. (2018). Transformative Learning in English Further Education. In C. Borg, P. Mayo, & R. Sultana (Eds.), Skills for Sustainable Human Development of the International Handbook on Vocational Education and Training for Changing the World of Work. London: Springer.Google Scholar
- Duckworth, V., & Smith, R. (2019). Research, Criticality & Adult and Further Education: Catalysing Hope and Dialogic Caring. In M. Hamilton & L. Tett (Eds.), Resisting the Neo-Liberal Discourse in Education: Local, National and Transnational Perspectives. London: Policy Press.Google Scholar
- Feeley, M. (2014). Learning Care Lessons: Literacy, Love, Care and Solidarity. London: Tufnell Press.Google Scholar
- Field, J. (2000). Lifelong Learning and the New Educational Order. Stoke-on-Trent: Trentham Books.Google Scholar
- Field, J. (2008). Social Capital. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Field, J., Gallacher, A., & Ingram, R. (Eds.). (2009). Researching Transitions in Lifelong Learning. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Freire, P. (1996). Pedagogy of the Oppressed. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Fukuyama, F. (1989). The End of History. https://ps321.community.uaf.edu/files/2012/10/Fukuyama-End-of-history-article.pdf. 15 November 2017.
- Giddens, A. (1991). Modernity and Self-Identity: Self and Society in the Late Modern Age. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Giddens, A. (1992). The Transformation of Intimacy: Sexuality, Love and Eroticism in Modern Societies. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Halford, S., Pope, C., & Weal, M. (2012). Digital Futures? Sociological Challenges and Opportunities in the Emergent Semantic Web, 47(1), 173–189.Google Scholar
- Harvey, D. (2005). A Brief History of Neoliberalism. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Hope, M. (2002). New Labour’s Policy on Inclusion: Will Practice Match Principles? Forum: For Promoting 13–19 Comprehensive Education, 44(3), 93–98.Google Scholar
- Lefebvre, H. (1991). The Production of Space. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Lucey, H., & Reay, D. (2002). A Market in Waste: Psychic and Structural Dimensions of School-Choice Policy in the UK and Children’s Narratives on “Demonised” Schools. Discourse, 23(3), 253–266.Google Scholar
- Mezirow, J. and associates. (2000). Fostering Critical Reflection: A Guide to Transformative and Emancipatory Learning. Mahwah: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- OFQUAL. (2016). A Guide to GCSE Results, Summer 2016. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a-guide-to-gcse-results-summer-2016. 1 December 2017.
- Smith, R. (2017). Area Reviews and the End of Incorporation: A Machiavellian Moment. In M. Daley, K. Orr, & J. Petrie (Eds.), The Principal. London: UCL IOE Press.Google Scholar
- Tedder, M., & Biesta, G. (2009). …. In J. Field, J. Gallacher, & R. Ingram (Eds.), Researching Transitions in Lifelong Learning. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Tovey, A. (2017, November 23). Apprenticeship Levy Behind 60pc Collapse in Number of People Starting Training Courses. Daily Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/11/23/apprenticeship-levy-behind-60pc-collapse-number-people-starting/. 27 November 2017.
- Walkerdine, V., Lucey, H., & Melody, J. (2001). Growing up Girl: Psychosocial Explorations of Gender and Class. London: Palgrave.Google Scholar
© The Author(s) 2019