Toward a Global Economic Empire
The attempt at reacting to the main structural weaknesses of the American economy and to the crisis of the Fordist model of growth led the US to accelerate the process aimed at the creation of a global economic empire, which could greatly favor the growth of US giant multinationals and main financial groups. The chapter presents the main tools and policies used by the US in order to foster the liberalization and extension of trade and of portfolio capital movements, the rapid expansion of FDI and, since the 1970s, the widening and deepening of economic and financial globalization. The profound worldwide cultural influence of the American model, skillful diplomatic efforts, brutal military interventions, and intelligence actions were also used in order to achieve these objectives.
KeywordsEconomic and financial globalization Growth of international trade and of US foreign direct investment The influence of the US ideology The strength of arms and diplomacy
- Andreff, W., and G. Balcet. 2013. Emerging Countries’ Multinational Companies Investing in Developed Countries: At Odds with the HOS Paradigm? European Journal of Comparative Economics 10 (1): 3–26.Google Scholar
- Bilmes, L., and J. Stiglitz. 2008. The Three Trillion Dollar War: The True Cost of the Iraq Conflict. New York: W.W. Norton & Company.Google Scholar
- Department of Commerce-BEA. 2017. http://www.bea.gov.
- De Prato, G., D. Nepelsky, and J. Simon. 2013. Asia in the Global ICT Innovation Network, Dancing with the Tigers. Sawston and Cambridge: Chandos Publishing.Google Scholar
- Rivoli, P. 2005. The Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy: An Economist Examines the Markets, Power, and Politics of World Trade. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons.Google Scholar
- SIPRI. 2017. Trends in World Military Expenditure 2016. Accessed September 28, 2017. https://www.sipri.org/sites/default/files/Trends-world-military-expenditure-2016.pdf.
- UNCTAD. 2017. www.unctad.org.
- ———. 2018. www.unctad.org.
- World Bank. 2017. www.worldbank.org.
- ———. 2018. www.worldbank.org.
- WTO. 2018. www.wto.org.