Lobular carcinoma in situ is a marker for an increased risk of breast cancer and a non-obligate precursor of invasive carcinoma. Morphological variants of pleomorphic LCIS are accepted as more complex lesions and are more likely to be associated with invasive carcinoma. Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) is a heterogeneous group of diseases that differ in biology and clinical behavior. DCIS is the putative precursor of the majority of invasive breast cancers, and its incidence has increased dramatically with mammographic screening. The goal of the management of DCIS is to prevent the development of invasive breast cancer. This chapter focuses on recommendations for workup, primary treatment, risk reduction strategies, and surveillance specific to carcinoma in situ, which represents approximately 20% of all breast cancers diagnosed by mammography.
KeywordsLobular carcinoma in situ Ductal carcinoma in situ LCIS DCIS Pleomorphic
- 2.College of American Pathologists. Protocols and guidelines. Available at: http://www.cap.org. Accessed 26 Feb 2018.
- 3.EORTC Breast Cancer Cooperative Group, EORTC Radiotherapy Group, Bijker N, Meijnen P, Peterse JL, Bogaerts J, Van Hoorebeeck I, Julien JP, et al. Breast-conserving treatment with or without radiotherapy in ductal carcinoma-in-situ: ten-year results of European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer randomized phase III trial 10853--a study by the EORTC Breast Cancer Cooperative Group and EORTC Radiotherapy Group. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:3381–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Yen TW, Hunt KK, Ross MI, Mirza NQ, Babiera GV, Meric-Bernstam F. Predictors of invasive breast cancer in patients with an initial diagnosis of ductal carcinoma in situ: a guide to selective use of sentinel lymph node biopsy in management of ductal carcinoma in situ. J Am Coll Surg. 2005;200:516–26.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Morrow M, Van Zee KJ, Solin LJ, Houssami N, Chavez-MacGregor M, Harris JR, et al. Society of Surgical Oncology-American Society for Radiation Oncology-American Society of Clinical Oncology consensus guideline on margins for breast-conserving surgery with whole-breast irradiation in ductal carcinoma in situ. J Clin Oncol. 2016;34:4040–6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Forbes F, Sestak I, Howell A, Bonanni B, Bundred N, Levy C, et al. Anastrozole versus tamoxifen for the prevention of locoregional and contralateral breast cancer in postmenopausal women with locally excised ductal carcinoma in situ (IBIS-II DCIS): a double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2016;387:866–73.CrossRefGoogle Scholar