Social Media Use in the Field of Orthopedic Surgery
Utilization of social media has drastically increased over the past decade. Millions of potential patients are using the Internet daily, often for obtaining healthcare-related information and usually before ever consulting with a physician. While the average orthopedic patient is very likely to participate in social media, orthopedic providers are participating at underwhelming rates. With the ability to reach thousands of individuals simultaneously, social media provides a unique platform to care for patients and an effective marketing tool. Additionally, there are many online professional networks that allow physicians to communicate with one another through social media to promote the spread of ideas and best practices. This chapter reviews the current landscape of social media use by both patients and providers, detailing how each group interacts online. Furthermore, this commentary provides tips on getting started on social media to foster a digital presence for a growing surgical practice.
KeywordsSocial Media Blogging Patient-Physician Relations Practice Management Patient Recruitment Outreach Professional Networking Patient Education Websites
- 1.Statista: The Statistics Portal. Percentage of U.S. population with a social media profile from 2008 to 2017. (https://www.statista.com/statistics/273476/percentage-of-us-population-with-a-social-network-profile/).
- 5.Barry F. Social media 101 for health care development organizations. AHP J. 2010;30–4.Google Scholar
- 15.Bakhsh W, Mesfin A. Online ratings of orthopedic surgeons: analysis of 2185 reviews. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2014;43(8):359–63.Google Scholar
- 23.Luks H. Chapter 3/establishing a digital presence. In: Soyer A, editor. American Academy of Orthopaedic surgeons. AAOS practice management committee. Rosemont: Social Media in Healthcare: A Primer for Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2012.Google Scholar
- 24.Perrin A. Social media usage: 2005–2015. Pew internet and American life project (pew). http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/10/08/social-networking-usage-2005-2015/.
- 36.Schafer MF, Pearson LL. Social media for orthopaedic surgeons. AAOS now. 2010 October. https://www.aaos.org/AAOSNow/2010/Oct/youraaos/youraaos11/?ssopc=1.