Down These European Mean Streets
The chapter sets out the key themes and concerns of contemporary European television crime dramas. The authors introduce relevant topics, including transnational narratives and production practices; the concepts (and phenomena) of Euronoir and Europudding; the contemporary and overarching influence of Nordic noir; and matters of gender, genre, and generic hybrids. It embeds a survey of previous literature on related subjects, and launches various new perspectives on the rise in European crime drama and beyond. This involves a consideration of the crime genre with obvious built-in transnational potentials as well recent developments in the relationship between crime drama and the supernatural.
- Alderman, Naomi. 2017. The Power. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Collins, Richard. 2014. Television, Cohesion and the EU. In The Palgrave Handbook of European Media Policy, ed. Karen Donders, Caroline Pauwels, and Jan Loisen. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- ———. 2013. Nordic Noir. Herts: Pocket Essentials.Google Scholar
- ———. 2014a. Euro Noir. Herts: Pocket Essentials.Google Scholar
- ———. 2014b. Brit Noir. Herts: Pocket Essentials.Google Scholar
- Hansen, Kim Toft. 2012. Knowing the Unknowable: Detecting Metaphysics and Religion in Crime Fiction. In Detecting Detection: International Perspectives on the Uses of Plot, ed. Peter Baker and Deborah Shaller. London: Bloomsbury Academic.Google Scholar
- Hochscherf, Tobias, and Heidi Philipsen. 2017. Beyond the Bridge: Contemporary Danish Television Drama. London and New York: I.B. Tauris.Google Scholar
- Jensen, Pia Majbritt, and Anne Marit Waade. 2013. Nordic Noir Production Values. The Killing and The Bridge. Academic Quarter 7: 189–201.Google Scholar
- Keslassy, Elsa. 2016. MIPTV: French TV Producers Join TV’s Golden Age of Production. Variety, October 18, 2017. http://variety.com/2016/tv/markets-festivals/mipcom-versailles-canal-plus-gaumont-studiocanal-lagardere-1201889635/. Accessed 3 Mar 2018.
- Lavik, Erlend. 2015. Forfatterskap i TV-drama: Showrunnermodellen, one vision – og Kampen for tilværelsen. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget.Google Scholar
- Liz, Mariana. 2015. From European Co-productions to the Euro-Pudding. In The Europeanness of European Cinema: Identity, Meaning, Globalization, ed. Mary Harrod, Mariana Liz, and Alissa Timoshkina, 73–85. London and New York: IB Tauris.Google Scholar
- Maxwell, Dominic. 2018. David Hare Interview. The Times, February 2. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/david-hare-i-am-sick-to-death-of-hearing-about-the-need-for-strong-women-as-protagonists-83scsqlsv. Accessed 7 Mar 2018.
- Nielsen, Jakob Isak. 2016. The Danish Way to Do It the American Way. Kosmorama 263. https://www.kosmorama.org/en/kosmorama/artikler/danish-way-do-it-american-way. Accessed 30 Aug 2018.
- Palacio, Manuel, and Concepción Cascajosa. 2012. Comunicar Europe/Communicating Europe: Spain, Television Co-Productions and the Case of Pepe Carvalho. View: Journal of European Television History & Culture 1 (2): 25–37.Google Scholar
- Pauwels, Caroline. 2014. Genesis and Rationales for European Intervention in Media. In The Palgrave Handbook of European Media Policy, ed. Karen Donders, Caroline Pauwels, and Jan Loisen. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Sears, John. 2011. Stephen King’s Gothic. Cardiff: University of Wales Press.Google Scholar
- Selznick, Barbara. 2008. Global Television: Co-Producing Culture. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.Google Scholar
- Thorpe, Vanessa. 2018. Divas Find a New Voice—And More Roles—As Opera Relaxes Gender Divide in Casting. The Observer News Section, 4 March 2018, 7.Google Scholar
- Turnbull, Sue, and Marion McCutcheon. 2018. Quality Vs Value: The Case of The Kettering Incident. In Companion to Australian Cinema, ed. Felicity Collins, Jane Landman, and Susan Bye. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell (forthcoming).Google Scholar
- Wise, Louis. 2018. Pop Culture’s Re-awokening: Is This Political Shift a Movement or a Moment? The Guardian, Culture Section, February 12. https://amp.theguardian.com/culture/2018/feb/17/pop-cultures-re-awokening-is-this-political-shift-a-movement-or-moment. Accessed 7 Mar 2018.
- Wiseman, Eve. 2018. The Observer Magazine, 4 March, 5.Google Scholar