Brett concludes that the increase in queer documentary film in France and Italy during the period of interest can be seen as ‘new’, specifically in terms of problematizing processes of representation and the assignment of defined spaces according to fixed binaries. The ‘post-queer’ is proposed as a productive way of reflecting upon emerging queer realities, given its ability to pluralise notions of ‘place’. The bringing together of theories of the queer in understanding the artifice of ‘place’, rather than pondering the applicability of ‘queer theory’, is argued to bolster the inherent queerness of these contexts from more subtle (and potentially queerer) perspectives. Significant themes are outlined as influential in the performance of queer ‘place’—namely, the family, ‘gendered spaces’, queer indeterminacy, and placelessness as ‘emplacement’.
- Angel. 2009. Directed by Sebastiano D’Ayala Valva [DVD]. France: Kanari Films.Google Scholar
- Au-delà de la haine/Beyond Hatred. 2006. Directed by Olivier Meyrou [DVD]. UK: Peccadillo Pictures.Google Scholar
- Berlinale. 2018. Sebastiano D’Ayala Valva, Director. Available at: https://www.berlinale-talents.de/bt/talent/sebastiano-dayalavalva/profile. Accessed 28 June 2018.
- Berry, C., S. Kim, and L. Spigel. 2010. Electronic Elsewheres: Media, Technology, and the Experience of Social Space. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Chanan, M. 2007. The Politics of Documentary. London: British Film Institute.Google Scholar
- Duggan, L. 2003. The Twilight of Equality: Neoliberalism, Cultural Politics, and the Attack on Democracy. Boston: Beacon Press.Google Scholar
- FranceInfo. 2018. Lutte contre l’homophobie à Reims: l’hommage à François Chenu. Available at: https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/grand-est/marne/reims/lutte-contre-homophobie-reims-hommage-francois-chenu-1474661.html. Accessed 28 June 2018.
- Improvvisamente l’inverno scorso. 2008. Directed by Gustav Hofer and Luca Ragazzi [DVD]. Italy: Ponte alle grazie.Google Scholar
- Italy: Love it or Leave it. 2011. Directed by Gustav Hofer and Luca Ragazzi [DVD]. Italy: hiq productions.Google Scholar
- Jagose, A. 1996. Queer Theory. Carlton South: Melbourne University Press.Google Scholar
- La bocca del lupo. 2009. Directed by Pietro Marcello [DVD]. Italy: L’Avventurosa.Google Scholar
- La Persona De Leo N. 2005. Directed by Alberto Vendemmiati [DVD]. Italy: Millennium Storm.Google Scholar
- Les Travestis Pleurent Aussi. 2006. Directed by Sebastiano D’Ayala Valva [DVD]. France: Kanari: Films.Google Scholar
- Ma La Spagna Non Era Cattolica? 2007. Directed by Peter Marcias [DVD]. Italy: Ultima Onda.Google Scholar
- Meyrou, O. 2007. ‘Interview with the Director Olivier Meyrou’ by Hong Khaou, Director. In Au-delà de la haine/Beyond Hatred (2006). Directed by Olivier Meyrou [DVD]. UK: Peccadillo Pictures.Google Scholar
- Porru, M. 2010. Note dello sceneggiatore. In Ma La Spagna Non Era Cattolica, storia di un cambiamento che no ci aspettavamo (DVD booklet), 13–15. Roma: Valter Casini Edizioni.Google Scholar
- Prosser, J. 1998. Second Skins: The Body Narratives of Transsexuality. New York: Columbia University.Google Scholar
- Proust, M. 2002 . In Search of Lost Time, vol. 6 Finding Time Again. Translated from the French by I. Patterson. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Scheibler, S. 1993. Constantly Performing the Documentary: The Seductive Promise of Lightning Over Water. In Theorizing Documentary, ed. M. Renov, 135–150. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- SOS. 2005. Agressions homophobes: une rue pour François. Available at https://www.sos-homophobie.org/article/agressions-homophobes-une-rue-pour-francois-chenu. Accessed 28 June 2018.
- Tabous et Transgressions dans mes films: Un film (un peu narcissique) de Philippe Vallois. 2007. Directed by Philippe Vallois [DVD]. France: Rendez-vous pictures.Google Scholar
- Wharton, S. 2008. Bars to Understanding? Depictions of the ‘Gay Bar’ in Film with Specific Reference to Coming Out, Les Nuits fauves, and Beautiful Thing. In Queer Cinema in Europe, ed. R. Griffiths, 107–116. Bristol: Intellect Ltd.Google Scholar