Minimally Invasive Liver Surgery
Minimally invasive surgery is associated with improved postoperative outcomes compared to open surgery for a variety of operations, which has led to its expansion to the field of liver surgery. Laparoscopic liver surgery has been increasingly used over the last two decades, and its safety and benefits in appropriately selected patients are being recognized. Robotic-assisted liver surgery maintains the benefits of faster recovery associated with minimally invasive surgery and provides superior visualization and ergonomics, however, at higher cost. At the same time, minimally invasive liver surgery poses unique challenges and entails a steep learning curve. The application of new technologies provides further capabilities in an exciting changing landscape. This chapter provides an overview of the evolution of minimally invasive liver surgery over the last two decades, its benefits over open liver surgery, the challenges encountered, and its future directions.
KeywordsMinimally invasive liver surgery Laparoscopic liver surgery Hand-assisted Hybrid Robotic liver surgery
We would like to thank Indra Mahajan PhD for her critical editorial review of this manuscript.
- 1.Clinical outcomes of Surgical Therapy Study Group, Nelsoh H, Sargent DJ, Wileand HS, Fleshman J, Anvari M, Stryker SJ, Beart RW Jr, Hwllinger M, Flanagan R Jr, Peters W, Ota D. A comparison of laparoscopically assisted and open colectomy for colon cancer. N Engl J Med. 2004;350(20):2050–9. Epub 2004/05/14. eng.Google Scholar
- 4.Gagner MRM, Dubuc J. Laparoscopic partial hepatectomy for liver tumor (abstract). Surg Endosc. 1992;6(99):99.Google Scholar
- 8.Beppu T, Wakabayashi G, Hasegawa K, Gotohda N, Mizuguchi T, Takahashi Y, et al. Long-term and perioperative outcomes of laparoscopic versus open liver resection for colorectal liver metastases with propensity score matching: a multi-institutional Japanese study. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2015;22(10):711–20.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Wakabayashi G, Cherqui D, Geller DA, Han HS, Kaneko H, Buell JF. Laparoscopic hepatectomy is theoretically better than open hepatectomy: preparing for the 2nd International Consensus Conference on Laparoscopic Liver Resection. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2014;21(10):723–31. Epub 2014/08/19. eng.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Takahara T, Wakabayashi G, Beppu T, Aihara A, Hasegawa K, Gotohda N, et al. Long-term and perioperative outcomes of laparoscopic versus open liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma with propensity score matching: a multi-institutional Japanese study. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2015;22(10):721–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Chen PD, Wu CY, Hu RH, Chen CN, Yuan RH, Liang JT, et al. Robotic major hepatectomy: Is there a learning curve? Surgery. 2016. Epub 2016/11/26. eng.Google Scholar