Both Australia and New Zealand share similar historical characteristics, having European, typically British, settler origins. This chapter discusses the two original economic drivers of this world region: agriculture and mining. Differences between Australia and New Zealand discussed here include the enfranchisement of indigenous populations, land use and ownership structures, sources and nature of immigration and the management of natural resources.
JEL ClassificationN17 N47 N57 N77
- Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives. n.d. https://atojs.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/atojs.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Historical Publications. n.d. http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310114.nsf/4a256353001af3ed4b2562bb00121564/1c25c0499720503fca2575710019873f.
- Condliffe, J.B. 1936. New Zealand in the Making. Allen and Unwin.Google Scholar
- Greasley, D. 2015. Industrializing Australia’s Natural Capital, Chap. 7. In The Cambridge Economic History of Australia, ed. S. Ville and G. Withers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Hawke, G. 1985. The Making of New Zealand. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Maddison, A. 1992. Monitoring the World Economy. Paris: OECD.Google Scholar
- New Zealand History Online. n.d. https://nzhistory.govt.nz.
- New Zealand Official Yearbooks. n.d. http://archive.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_stats/snapshots-of-nz/digital-yearbook-collection.aspx.
- Phillips, J., M. Klapdor, and J. Simon-Davies. 2010. Migration to Australia since Federation: A Guide to the Statistics. Parliament of Australia, Canberra.Google Scholar
- Qasim, M., L. Oxley, and E. McLaughlin. 2018. Genuine Savings as a Test of New Zealand Weak Sustainability. Discussion Papers in Environment and Development Economics 2018/01, University of St Andrews. https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/dept-of-geography-and-sustainable-development/pdf-s/DP%202018-1%20Qasim%20et%20al.pdf.
- Seltzer, A. 2015. Labour Skills and Migration, Chap. 8. In The Cambridge Economic History of Australia, ed. S. Ville and G. Withers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Vamplew, W. 1987. Australians: Historical Statistics. Broadway, NSW: Fairfax, Syme and Weldon.Google Scholar