The conclusion reiterates that since the 1980s in Italy reggae and reggae-inflected hip hop have resonated strongly with the perceived cultural, linguistic, social, and political marginalization experienced by many Italians, particularly in the southern regions of the country. By infusing reggae and reggae-inflected hip hop with local elements, such as multiple local languages and linguistic codes, southern Italian artists have created transversal and transnational alliances with other marginalized subjectivities along ethnic, cultural, and political lines. As such, reggae, and later reggae-inflected hip hop, has also provided means to promote transcultural and inter-linguistic dialogue within the diverse local contexts that have continued to divide Italy along northern and southern regional identities since its unification in 1861.
- De Gaetano, Giovanni, dir. 2011. Pull It Up: An Italian Story. Nine Lives. Film.Google Scholar
- Istat. n.d. Unemployment Rate Dataset. Istituto nazionale di statistica. www.istat.it. Accessed 15 Apr 2014.
- Ketola, Justine A. 2010. Alborosie Set to Conquer California. http://zionboundmedia.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/alborosie-escape-from-babylon-to.html. Accessed 24 Feb 2014.
- Kington, Tom. 2013. Italy’s First Black Minister: I Had Bananas Thrown at Me But I’m Here to Stay. The Guardian, September 8. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/08/cecile-kyenge-quest-for-tolerance. Accessed 3 Mar 2014.
- Marchetti, Simona. 2008. Il reggae partito da Bergamo ha conquistato la Giamaica. Corriere della Sera, January 18: n.pag. http://www.corriere.it/spettacoli/08_gennaio_18/reggae_bergamo_giamaica_d7acc28c-c5d8-11dc-8434-0003ba99c667.shtml. Accessed 5 Jan 2014.
- Mithen, Steven J. 2006. The Singing Neanderthals: The Origins of Music, Language, Mind, and Body. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. Print.Google Scholar
- Rosapaeda. 2017. Personal Interview. October 20.Google Scholar
- Rudis, Al. 2010. Italian Reggae Star Puts Down New Roots and Rhythms in Jamaica. Press-Telegram, February 17. https://www.presstelegram.com/2010/02/18/italian-reggae-star-puts-down-new-roots-and-rhythms-in-jamaica/. Accessed 19 Mar 2014.
- 99 Posse. 1993. Curre Curre Guaglió. Curre Curre Guagliò. Esodo Autoproduzioni. CD.Google Scholar
- Alborosie. 2003. Dash Me Away. Forward Recordings. 7-inch.Google Scholar
- ———. 2009. Mr President. Escape From Babylon. Greensleeves. CD.Google Scholar
- Different Stylee. 1986. Mr Babylon. Mini Album Dubwize. Mole Reggae Diffusion. EP.Google Scholar
- Ghetto Eden. 2011. Fuori Città. Salento Sound System. CD.Google Scholar
- ———. 2014. Senegalentino. Salento Sound System. CD.Google Scholar
- Reggae National Tickets. 1994. Metropoli Selvaggia. Self-produced. Demo tape.Google Scholar
- Rosapaeda. 2015. Inna Different Stylee. Femlay. CD.Google Scholar
- Sud Sound System. 2010. Lampedusa. Ultimamente. Universal Music. CD.Google Scholar
- Torino Posse. 1992. Legala. Vox Pop. 12-inch.Google Scholar