Aotearoa/New Zealand and the Emissions Trading Scheme
Aotearoa/New Zealand’s (A/NZ’s) key piece of mitigation strategy is the New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme (NZETS). The scheme was put in place to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in A/NZ in line with the Kyoto Protocols. This chapter will outline the development, implementation, and subsequent amendments to the NZETS, and the Māori reaction and compliance with it. Discussion will include plans for Māori land reforestation projects and the impact of the scheme from a social, economic, environmental, and cultural perspective. In question too is the tension between complying with an economic-focused mitigation measure, and MM practices, beliefs, and values that the NZETS ignores.
KeywordsNZETS, Māori compliance Kyoto Protocols GHG emissions MM vs. NZETS compliance
- Bullock, D. (2009). The New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme: A Step in the Right Direction? (Institute of Policy Studies Working Paper 09/04, March 2009). Wellington: School of Government Studies, University of Victoria.Google Scholar
- Carter, L., Kamou, R., & Barrett, M. (2011). Literature Review and Programme Report. Te Pae Tawhiti Maori Economic Development Porgramme. Published Report for Nga Pae o Te Maramatanga, University of Auckland.Google Scholar
- Harmsworth, G. (2003). Maori Perspectives on Kyoto Policy: Interim Results. Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from the Terrestrial Biosphere (C09X0212). Discussion Paper for Policy Agencies (Climate Change Office; MfE, MAF, TPK). Palmerston North: Landcare Research NZ.Google Scholar
- Hopkins, D., Campbell-Hunt, C., Carter, L., Higham, J., & Rosin, C. (2015). Climate Change and Aotearoa New Zealand. WIRes Climate Change. https://doi.org/10.1002/wcc.355.
- Insley, C., & Meade, R. (2008). Māori Impacts from the Emissions Trading Scheme. Detailed Analysis and Conclusions. Wellington: Ministry for the Environment. Prepared by 37 Degrees South and The Cognitas Advisory Services.Google Scholar
- Kawharu, I. H. (Ed.). (1989). Waitangi. Maori and Pakeha Perspectives of the Treaty of Waitangi. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Orange, C. (1987). The Treaty of Waitangi. Wellington: Allen and Unwen/Port Nicholson Press.Google Scholar