Mass Lumping for MHFEM in Two Phase Flow Problems in Porous Media
- 622 Downloads
This work deals with testing of the Mixed-Hybrid Finite Element Method (MHFEM) for solving two phase flow problems in porous media. We briefly describe the numerical method, it’s implementation, and benchmark problems. First, the method is verified using test problems in homogeneous porous media in 2D and 3D. Results show that the method is convergent and the experimental order of convergence is slightly less than one. However, for the problem in heterogeneous porous media, the method produces oscillations at the interface between different porous media and we demonstrate that these oscillations are not caused by the mesh resolution. To overcome these oscillations, we use the mass lumping technique which eliminates the oscillations at the interface. Tests on the problems in homogeneous porous media show that although the mass lumping technique slightly decreases the accuracy of the method, the experimental order of convergence remains the same.
The work was supported by the Czech Science Foundation project no. 17-06759S and by grant No. SGS17/194/OHK4/3T/14 of the GA, CTU in Prague.
- 1.G. Chavent, J. Roberts, A unified physical presentation of mixed, mixed-hybrid finite elements and usual finite differences for the determination of velocities in waterflow problems, Research Report RR-1107, INRIA (1989)Google Scholar
- 2.R. Fučík, Advanced numerical methods for modelling two-phase flow in heterogeneous porous media, Ph.D. thesis, FNSPE of Czech Technical University Prague, 2010Google Scholar
- 5.R. Fučík, J. Mikyška, J. Solovský, J. Klinkovský, T. Oberhuber, Multidimensional mixed hybrid finite element method for compositional two phase flow in heterogeneous porous media and its massively parallel implementation on GPU. Comput. Phys. Commun. (2017, in review)Google Scholar
- 7.R. Helmig, Multiphase Flow and Transport Processes in the Subsurface, A Contribution to the Modelling of Hydrosystems (Springer, Berlin, 1997)Google Scholar
- 9.J. Solovský, R. Fučík, A parallel mixed-hybrid finite element method for two phase flow problems in porous media using MPI. Comput. Methods Mater. Sci. 17(2), 84–93 (2017)Google Scholar