Sharing LHC Research and Discovery with High School Students
Research institutes and universities around the world invite students and their teachers for a day-long programme to experience life at the forefront of basic research. These International Masterclasses (www.physicsmasterclasses.org) give students the opportunity to be particle physicists for a day by analysing real data from CERN’s Large Hadron Collider (LHC). The project attracts each year more than 13,000 high school students from 46 countries.
In the International Masterclasses, high school students work with real data collected by the experiments at the LHC. The programme bridges the gap between science education at school and modern scientific research. Participants can explore the fundamental forces and building blocks of nature and are informed about the new age of exciting discoveries in particle physics, e.g. the discovery of the Higgs boson. Moreover, they can actively take part in cutting-edge research and improve their understanding in science and the scientific research process. The programme offers authentic experience and adds valuable experiences to physics education at school, thus stimulating the students’ interest in science.
- Alexopoulos, A., Barney, D., Bilow, U., Adam Boudarios, C., Kobel, M., Kourkoumelis, C., Melo, I., Rangel Smith, C. (2015): Resources for Education and Outreach Activities: Discussion Session. In: Proceedings of Science EPS-HEP (2015) 619. https://inspirehep.net/record/1430777/files/PoS(EPS-HEP2015)619.pdf
- Bardeen, M., Beck, H., Bilow, U., Cecire, K., Ould-Saada, F., Kobel, M. (2014): International Masterclasses in the LHC era. CERN Courier 6 (2014). http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/57305
- Gedigk, K., Pospiech, G. (2015): Development of students’ interest in particle physics as effect of participating in a Masterclass. Il Nuovo Cimento 38 C (2015) 100. https://doi.org/10.1393/ncc/i2015-15085-2
- Gedigk, K., Kobel, M., Pospiech, G. (2014): Development of interest in particle physics as an effect of school events in an authentic setting. In: Dvorak, L.: ICPE-EPEC 2013 Conference Proceedings (pp. 396–404). http://www.icpe2013.org/uploads/ICPEEPEC_2013_ConferenceProceedings.pdf
- Rockstroh, M., Bilow, U., Gedigk, K., Glueck, A., Kobel, M., Pospiech, G. (2013): Netzwerk Teilchenwelt – Hands On Particle Physics Masterclasses in Germany – Best Practice in Sharing Authentic Science with the Public. In: Lazoudis, A.: Discover the Cosmos Conference Proceedings (pp. 61–70). http://handsonuniverse.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/DtC_conf_proceedings.pdf