Survey Analysis of Automatic Detection and Grading of Cataract Using Different Imaging Modalities
Cataract is the most common ocular disease mainly developed during old age. It occurs due to the buildup of protein at lens over a long period of time which makes the lens cloudy. Early and accurate diagnosis of cataract helps prevent vision loss. To alleviate the burden of ophthalmologist, many researchers working in the field of biomedical imaging developed a number of techniques for the automatic detection and grading of cataract. Imaging modalities used for this purpose includes slit-lamp images, retro-illumination images, digital/optical eye images, retinal images, and ultrasonic Nakagami images. In this paper, we review cataract detection and grading methodologies using these imaging modalities. For each imaging type, we analyze the possible methods and techniques applied so far. We also investigated the advantages and shortcomings of these techniques and methods and suggested the ways to improve the existing methods.
KeywordsNuclear cataract Cortical cataract Posterior subcapsular cataract  Slit-lamp images Retro-illumination images Retinal images Optical images and Nakagami images
- 1.Zhang, Z., Srivastava, R., Liu, H., Chen, X., Duan, L., Wong, D. W. K., Kwoh, C. K., Wong, T. Y., & Liu, J. (2014). A survey on computer aided diagnosis for ocular diseases. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. Retrieved from http://bmcmedinformdecismak.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6947-14-80
- 2.Shirole, T. (2014, November 4). About Cataract. Retrieved from http://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cataract.htm
- 3.Kinard, E. T. A Closer Look at Cataract. Retrieved from http://www.athenseyecare.net/conditions/cataracts/?
- 4.All 3 Article What is cataract? (2010, August 4). Retrieved from http://www.parentyourparents.com/pyp_article/cataracts/?
- 7.Figure 1 Normal Vs Cataract Vision. Retrieved from http://www.eyecenter.com.ph/what-we-do.html#ripen. ©Copyright 2011. American Eye Center.
- 11.Li, H., Lim, J. H., Liu, J., Wong, D. W. K., Tan, N. M., Lu, S., Zhang, Z., & Wong, T. Y. (2009, September). An automatic diagnosis system of nuclear cataract using slit-lamp images. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2009. EMBC 2009. Annual international conference of the IEEE (pp. 3693–3696). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 14.Jagadale, A. B., & Jadhav, D. V. (2016, April). Early detection and categorization of cataract using slit-lamp images by hough circular transform. In Communication and Signal Processing (ICCSP), 2016 international conference on (pp. 0232–0235). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 15.Liu, X., Jiang, J., Zhang, K., Long, E., Cui, J., Zhu, M., An, Y., Zhang, J., Liu, Z., Lin, Z., & Li, X. (2017). Localization and diagnosis framework for pediatric cataracts based on slit-lamp images using deep features of a convolutional neural network. PloS one, 12(3), e0168606.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Chow, Y. C., Gao, X., Li, H., Lim, J. H., Sun, Y., & Wong, T. Y. (2011, August). Automatic detection of cortical and PSC cataracts using texture and intensity analysis on retro-illumination lens images. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBC, 2011 annual international conference of the IEEE (pp. 5044–5047). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 17.Gao, X., Wong, D. W. K., Aryaputera, A. W., Sun, Y., Cheng, C. Y., Cheung, C., & Wong, T. Y. (2012, August). Automatic pterygium detection on cornea images to enhance computer-aided cortical cataract grading system. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2012 annual international conference of the IEEE (pp. 4434–4437). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 22.Yang, M., Yang, J. J., Zhang, Q., Niu, Y., & Li, J. (2013, October). Classification of retinal image for automatic cataract detection. In e-Health Networking, Applications & Services (Healthcom), 2013 IEEE 15th international conference on (pp. 674–679). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 27.Supriyanti, R., & Ramadhani, Y. (2011, June). The Achievement of Various Shapes of Specular Reflections for Cataract Screening System Based on Digital Images. In International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Technology (ICBET). Kualalumpur, Malaysia.Google Scholar
- 28.Patwari, M. A. U., Arif, M. D., Chowdhury, M. N., Arefin, A., & Imam, M. I. (2011). Detection, categorization, and assessment of eye cataracts using digital image processing. In The first international conference on interdisciplinary research and development, 31 May–1 June.Google Scholar
- 29.Fuadah, Y. N., Setiawan, A. W., & Mengko, T. L. R. (2015, May). Performing high accuracy of the system for cataract detection using statistical texture analysis and K-Nearest Neighbor. In Intelligent Technology and Its Applications (ISITIA), 2015 international seminar on (pp. 85–88). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 32.Caixinha, M., Velte, E., Santos, M., & Santos, J. B. (2014, September). New approach for objective cataract classification based on ultrasound techniques using multiclass SVM classifiers. In Ultrasonics Symposium (IUS), 2014 IEEE International (pp. 2402–2405). IEEE.Google Scholar