Fighting Panic with Haptics!
This paper presents some of the findings from the master’s thesis project Fighting Panic with Haptics! (Gustafsson and Yxhage 2016) which aimed to answer the question of if and how one could make a product to help people suffering from panic attacks and panic disorder. Through the use of design and human factors tools such as personas, user journeys and user testing we came to the conclusion that it is possible to create a physical product that can help against panic attacks. Furthermore, our findings suggest that such a product should be designed to help the persons suffering from panic attacks break their internal focus by including the world around them since internal focus on thoughts and bodily reactions was found to be one of the core triggers of the attacks. Moreover, we could conclude that design theories and methodologies are effective tools also when trying to solve complex problems outside of the conventional product design sphere.
KeywordsHuman factors Design methodology Design for mental health Panic attack
- Bligård L-O (2015) ACD3 utvecklingsprocessen ur ett människa-maskinperspektiv, andra upplagan. Teknisk rapport, nr 96, Chalmers Tekniska Högskolan, inst. för Produkt- och produktionsutveckling, GothenburgGoogle Scholar
- Carlbring C, Hanell Å (2011) Ingen panik, fri från panik och ångestattacker i 10 steg med kognitiv beteendevetenskap, 2nd edn. Natur & Kultur, Stockholm, pp 21, 47–53, 70–73Google Scholar
- Cooper A et al (2014) About face: the essentials of interaction design, 4th edn. Wiley, Indianapolis, pp 62–69Google Scholar
- Gustafsson H, Yxhage S (2016) Fighting panic with haptics! Chalmers University of Technology, GothenburgGoogle Scholar
- Kaplan K (2016) When and how to create customer journey maps. Nielsen Norman Group. https://www.nngroup.com/articles/customer-journey-mapping
- Psychologytoday.com (2011) Acceptance and commitment therapy—a mindful way to treat disorders. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/two-takes-depression/201102/acceptance-and-commitment-therapy. Accessed 24 May 2016
- Semple D, Smyth R (2013) Oxford handbook of psychiatry, 3rd edn. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp 358–362Google Scholar
- 1177.se (2012) Mindfulness. http://www.1177.se/Vastra-Gotaland/Tema/Halsa/Stress/Mindfulness/. Accessed 24 May 2016