Human Factors Related to the Use of Personal Computer: A Case Study
The aim of this study was to determine and compare the ergonomic requirements in the use of desktop computers and laptops. For comparison, postures in the sagittal and transversal planes involved while performing a typing and editing task on a desktop and laptop computers were verified. Thus, a case study was conducted with a Brazilian male of medium height, who works around 20 h per week in a computer. Nine spherical markers of 2.5 cm in diameter were joined up with duct tape on the right side of the participant and the positions adopted by the subject were analyzed in the use of a desktop and a laptop computer, through direct observation and filming, using the videography technique. Among the most significant results, the use of desktop computers compared to laptops allows a more upright posture of the head and neck, as well as a more neutral posture of the shoulders, elbows and wrist. It is concluded that the use of desktop computers has lesser biomechanical demands since it showed angles closer to a neutral position and consequently having a lower risk of musculoskeletal complaints.
KeywordsPostural angles Desktop computer Laptop computer
- 2.Aydeniz A, Gursoy S (2008) Upper extremy musculoskeletal disorders among computer users. Turk J Med Sci 38:235–238Google Scholar
- 5.Gerr F, Monteilh CP, Marcus M (2006) Keyboard use and musculoskeletal outcomes among computer users. J Occup Rehabil 13(3):265–277Google Scholar
- 7.Castellucci I, Benitez LZ (2011) Postura, disconfort y produtividad durante la ejecución de tareas de mecanografía en computadores personales portátiles tipo netbook, con y sin modificaciones ergonómicas. In: Proceedings of the 9th international conference on occupational risk prevention, ORP 2011, Santiago, pp 1–9Google Scholar
- 12.Iida I (2005) Ergonomia – Projeto e Produção. Edgar Blucher, São PauloGoogle Scholar
- 13.Chaffin DB, Andersson GB, Martin BJ (1999) Occupational biomechanics, 3rd edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar