Difficulties of the Modern Work Style in Office Environment
This Hungarian research is investigating the personal experiences of communication and collaboration at work, and aims to identify the related factors that influence the job satisfaction and the performance of the employees. Information was collected from eleven depth interviews in order to explore and compass the topic in details and understand the connections between the problems of the respondents and their work environment (work environment refers to both physical and communication environment). Therefore respondents were chosen from different office environments, varied by the size of the offices (from three workstations in a room to open-plan office) and by the type of the organizations (multinational and Hungarian companies, state-owned institutions). The interviews covered the topics of work environment, work conditions, work style, working habits (e.g. preferred hours to work on cognitive load tasks), and the personal factors that influence work efficiency. Regarding interruption overload, the different types of interruptions were discussed during the interviews to investigate the personal strategies used in order to focus on work.
The result of the research shows that the lack of functional spaces is a common issue regarding the physical environment, but there are other problems related directly to communication channels and forms. The preference of personal communication and the importance of social interactions at work were also highlighted even though respondents realized that personal inquires often keep them from effective work.
KeywordsModern office environment Collaboration Office interruptions
- 3.Nichols J, Wobbrock JO, Gergle D, Forlizzi J (2002) Mediator and medium: doors as interruption gateways and aesthetic displays. In: 4th conference on designing interactive systems: processes, practices, methods, and techniques, proceedings paper, pp 379–386Google Scholar
- 6.Scholl J, Hasvold P, Henriksen E, Ellingsen G (2007) Managing communication availability and interruptions: a study of mobile communication in an oncology department. In: LaMarca A, Langheinrich M, Truong KN (eds) Pervasive Computing 2007. LNCS 4480, pp 234–250. Springer, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- 8.Rothe PM, Beijer M (2011) Most important aspects of the work environment. In: Proceedings of the 10th EuroFM research symposium, pp 1–12, Vienna, AustriaGoogle Scholar
- 10.Hofstede G, Hofstede GJ, Minkov M (2010) Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind. McGraw Hill Professional, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Hofstede Insights Homepage. https://www.hofstede-insights.com/country-comparison/hungary. Accessed 19 Feb 2018