Influence of Driving Duration on Static Factors of Seating Comfort in Motorcycles
The driving duration is an important consideration for the design and development of automobile seats. Seating comfort consists of two factors, static and dynamic, and research on passenger cars shows both these factors are influenced by driving duration. However there is limited research to understand the influence of driving duration on seating comfort in motorcycles. This study investigates the influence of driving duration on static factors of seating comfort in motorcycles. Motorcycles from India that are typically used for commuting are considered in this study. The study is carried out with the help of 13 male volunteers and involves subjective rating of seating comfort in a static lab based set up of the motorcycle. The evaluation is carried out for 60 min and the rating of seating comfort is obtained after every 10 min. The data is analysed statistically using ANOVA. The results show that there is a significant influence of time on seating comfort in motorcycles (p < 0.05). The seating comfort reduces with time, however the comfort rating saturates after a duration of 30 min to remain fairly constant. The results of this study provide useful inputs for further research on seating comfort in motorcycles.
We thank all the volunteers for participating in this study. We thank Dr. Venkatamanga Raju, R. Babu and the management of TVS Motor Company for providing the necessary support for carrying out and publishing this study.
- 3.Richards LC (1980) On psychology of passenger comfort. In: Oborne DJ, Levins JA (eds) Human factors in transport research. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 4.Kolich M (2000) Ergonomic modeling and evaluation of automobile seat comfort, PhD thesis University of Windsor, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- 6.Mansfield NJ, Mackrill J, Rimell AN, MacMull SJ (2014) Combined effects of long-term sitting and whole-body vibration on discomfort onset for vehicle occupants. ISRN Autom Eng 2014:8 Article ID 852607Google Scholar
- 8.Sai Praveen V, Ray GG (2015) A study on motorcycle usage and comfort in Urban India. In: Proceedings of the 19th triennial congress of the IEA, Melbourne, 9–14 August 2015Google Scholar
- 9.Poushter J (2016) Car, Bike or Motorcycle? Depends on where you live, Pew Research Center, April 2016. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/04/16/car-bike-or-motorcycle-depends-on-where-you-live/#
- 10.Sai Praveen V, Ray GG (2018) Validity of using lab based set-ups for evaluation of static factors in seating comfort of motorcycles. In: Abstract accepted for the 20th international conference of the international ergonomics association (IEA), Florence, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- 11.Kulkarni D, Ranjan S, Chitodkar V, Gurjar V, Ghaisas CV, Mannikar AV (2011) SIZE INDIA- anthropometric size measurement of Indian driving population. In: Symposium on international automotive technology, SAE Paper, 2011-26-0108Google Scholar
- 13.WageIndicator (2017) Paycheck.in - how much time do Indians spend on commuting to work place? http://www.paycheck.in/main/career-tips/research-publication/how-much-time-do-indians-spend-on-commuting-to-work-place