EU Standardization. Mandate 420 - Accessibility in the Built Environment Following a Design for All Approach
Accessibility of the built environment is essential for people with disabilities to be able to exercise their rights and to participate fully in society. How can governments provide products and services for all citizens with limited financial resources and increasing accessibility demands? The European Commission proposes, in the European Disability Strategy 2010-2020, to use legislative and standardization tools, such as specific mandates, to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. This paper introduces these mandates related to accessibility with a Design for All approach, and in particular outlines the work of Mandate M/420 for accessibility requirements for public procurement in the built environment (including transport infrastructures), based on ISO 21542:2011 “Accessibility and Usability of the Built Environment”, which is its main reference standard that, after seven years, is now under revision.
It also describes the standardization process which is a participatory one, involving different experts, representing national standardization bodies and stakeholders.
KeywordsMandate 420 Accessibility Built environment
- 1.United Nations Organization (2006) Convention on the rights of persons with disabilities. United Nations, New York, USAGoogle Scholar
- 2.EC (2010) European disability strategy 2010-2020: a renewed commitment to a barrier-free Europe. European CommissionGoogle Scholar
- 3.CEN, CENELEC and ETSI, Standard - EN 301 549 (2018). Accessibility requirements suitable for public procurement of ICT products and services in Europe. http://mandate376.standards.eu/standard
- 4.European Commission (2010) Employment, social affairs and equal opportunities DG, standardization mandate to CEN, CENELEC and ETSI to include “design for all” in relevant Standardization Initiatives, M/473Google Scholar
- 5.AENOR (2011) M/420 Phase I joint report. https://www.cencenelec.eu/standards/Sectors/Accessibility/BuiltEnvironment/Pages/default.as. Accessed 24 Apr 2018
- 6.CEN/CENELEC Built environment. https://www.cencenelec.eu/standards/Sectors/Accessibility/BuiltEnvironment/Pages/default.asp. Accessed 24 Apr 2018