Tom Ripley’s Talent
- 149 Downloads
This chapter elaborates on the notion of the performance in Anthony Minghella’s adaptation of The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999). Minghella’s beautifully photographed and exquisitely composed film not only encourages the recipient (along with the protagonist) to fall in love with Dickie Greenleaf’s luxurious lifestyle, it also suggests that performance may be the only way out of his circumstance, condition, and history. It is Ripley’s ever-shifting, mendacious performance that makes him a high priest of Baudrillard’s ‘cult of the ephemeral’ and thus a reflection of contemporary man.
- Baudrillard, Jean. For a Critique of the Political Economy of the Sign. Trans. Charles Levin. St. Louis: Telos, 1981.Google Scholar
- Bergson, Henri. “Laughter.” Trans. Cloudesley Brereton and Fred Rothwell. Comedy, Ed. Wylie Sypher. Garden City: Doubleday Anchor, 1956, 59–190.Google Scholar
- Clark, Mike. “A Pretty Young Picture.” USA Today, 27 January 2000. 2 May 2018. http://www.usatoday.com/life/enter/movies/movie170.html.
- Cortázar, Julio. End of the Game and Other Stories. Trans. Paul Blackburn. New York: Pantheon, 1967.Google Scholar
- Maslin, Janet. “Stealing a New Life, Carnal, Glamorous and Worth the Price.” The New York Times, 24 December 1999. 2 May 2018. https://www.nytimes.com/1999/12/24/movies/film-review-stealing-a-new-life-carnal-glamorous-and-worth-the-price.html.
- Nagy, Phyllis. The Talented Mr. Ripley. London: Methuen, 1999.Google Scholar
- Rich, Frank. “American Pseudo.” The New York Times, 12 December 1999. 2 May 2018. https://www.nytimes.com/1999/12/12/magazine/american-pseudo.html.
- Stearns, Peter N. Be a Man! Males in Modern Society. New York: Holmes and Meier, 1990.Google Scholar
- Straayer, Chris. “The Talented Poststructuralist: Heteromasculinity, Gay Artifice, and Class Passing.” Masculinity: Bodies, Movies, Culture. Ed. Peter Lehman. New York: Routledge, 2001, 115–132.Google Scholar
- Truffaut, François. Hitchcock. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1985.Google Scholar
- Turan, Kenneth. “Hedging Talented Mr. Ripley.” Los Angeles Times, 24 December 1999. 2 May 2018. http://articles.latimes.com/1999/dec/24/entertainment/ca-46952.