How Do Smart Cities Impact on Sustainable Urban Growth and on Opportunities for Entrepreneurship? Evidence from Portugal: The Case of Águeda
This chapter presents a case study that illustrates how the local structures of a developing medium-sized city in Portugal have been capable of, in times of public budget shortfalls, introducing structural changes based on the conceptualization of a smart city. Focusing on the case of Águeda, a city whose population is currently around 48 thousand inhabitants and whose economy is heavily based on manufacturing industries, with a predominance of micro-enterprises, the study explores how the concept of smart city has emerged and has been applied in a specific context and accordingly the extent to which public value has been generated.
KeywordsSmart city Label Living lab Collaboration
The authors express their gratitude to the invaluable cooperation of all interviewees.
- Bell, C. (1992). Ritual theory, ritual practice. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Câmara Municipal de Águeda. (2013). Águeda uma Visão/Águeda a Vision. Bilingue edition PT & EN.Google Scholar
- Eskelinen, J., García Robles, A., Lindy, I., Marsh, J., & Muente-Kunigami, A. (2015). Citizen-driven innovation: A guidebook for city Mayors and public administrators. World bank and ENoLL.Google Scholar
- Giffinger, R., & Gudrun, H. (2010). Smart cities ranking: An effective instrument for the positioning of the cities? ACE: Architecture, City and Environment, 4(12), 7–26.Google Scholar
- Guerra, I. C. (2006). Pesquisa Qualitativa e Análise de Conteúdo: Sentidos e formas de uso. Lucerna.Google Scholar
- Inteli. (2014). Retrieved from http://www.inteli.pt/ and http://www.inteli.pt/uploads/documentos/documento_1400235009_2055.pdf
- Manville, C., Cochrane, G., Cave, J., Millard, J., Pederson, J. K., Kåre Thaarup, R., et al. (2014). Mapping smart cities in the EU. Directorate geneal for internal policies, policy department A: Economic and scientific policy. RAND.org.
- Oliveira, Á., Campolargo, M., & Martins, M. (2015). Constructing human smart cities. In International conference on smart cities and green ICT systems (pp. 32–49). Lisbon: Springer.Google Scholar
- Yin, R. K. (2017). Case study research: Design and methods (6th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar