Exploration: Building the Abstract—Metaphorical Play-Doh® Modelling in Health Sciences
Whilst modelling literal anatomical or engineering constructs is not new, modelling the ‘abstract’ is underexplored in higher education. This piece explores the potential of metaphorical model making using Play-Doh® as a multi-sensory approach to learning development in higher education. The approach is underpinned by Papert’s Constructionist learning theory and is sympathetic to visual and kinaesthetic learning preferences. Workshops were conducted with groups of Health Science students, the aims of which were to allow the students to use concrete thinking to explore key concepts in their work through the creation of and reflection upon representational models. The findings highlight the importance of celebrating differences in learning styles and have led to further developments to the approach with other student groups for a variety of personal and academic development purposes.
KeywordsHealth sciences Play-Doh® Concepts and metaphors
- Ackermann, E. K. (2004). Constructing Knowledge and Transforming the World. In M. Tokoro & L. Steels (Eds.), A Learning Zone of One’s Own: Sharing Representations and Flow in Collaborative Learning Environments. Available at http://jotamac.typepad.com/jotamacs_weblog/files/Constructing_Knowledge_Ackermann2004.pdf. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- Brown, S. (2009). Play Is More Than Just Fun. TED Talk. Available at http://www.ted.com/talks/stuart_brown_says_play_is_more_than_fun_it_s_vital. Accessed June 16, 2017.
- Carlson, N. R. (1998). Physiology of Behaviour (6th ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.Google Scholar
- Coughlan, S. (2015). Rising Number of Stressed Students Seek Help. BBC News. Available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34354405. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- Department for Education. (2017). Inclusive Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inclusive-teaching-and-learning-in-higher-education. Accessed June 21, 2017.
- Gray, P. (2013). Play as Preparation for Learning and Life. The American Journal of Play (Spring). Available at http://www.journalofplay.org/sites/www.journalofplay.org/files/pdf-articles/5-3-interview-play-as-preparation.pdf. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- James, A. (2013, November). Lego Serious Play: A Three-Dimensional Approach to Learning Development. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education (6). Google Scholar
- James, A., & Brookfield, S. D. (2014). Engaging Imagination: Helping Students Become Creative and Reflective Learners. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Lakoff, G., & Johnson, M. (2003). Metaphors We Live By. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Marsh, S. (2017, May 23). Number of University Dropouts Due to Mental Health Problems Trebles. The Guardian. Available at https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/23/number-university-dropouts-due-to-mental-health-problems-trebles. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- McIntosh, P., & Warren, D. (Eds.). (2013). Creativity in the Classroom: Case Studies in Using the Arts in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Bristol, UK: Intellect (ebook).Google Scholar
- Mezirow, J. (1991). Transformative Dimensions of Adult Learning. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Papert, S., & Harel, I. (1991). Constructionism. Available at http://www.papert.org/articles/SituatingConstructionism.html. Accessed February 16, 2014.
- Peabody, M. A., & Noyes, S. (2017). Reflective Boot Camp: Adapting LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® in Higher Education. Available at http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/14623943.2016.1268117?needAccess=true. Accessed June 20, 2017.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ready Set Design. Available at http://cdn.cooperhewitt.org/2011/09/02/Ready%20Set%20Design%20vX.pdf. Accessed June 21, 2017.
- Ridley, P., & Rogers, A. (2010). Drawing to Learn: Clinical Education, Health and Social Care. Brighton: Visual Learning in Higher Education Series, University of Brighton, Learnhigher.Google Scholar
- Robinson, K. (2006). How Schools Kill Creativity. [ONLINE] Available at http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html. Accessed December 2017.
- Sotto, E. (2007). When Teaching Becomes Learning: A Theory and Practice of Teaching (2nd ed.). London: Continuum International Publishing Group. Google Scholar
- Wilson, F. (1999). The Hand: How Its Use Shapes the Brain, Language and Human Culture. New York: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Yeung, P., Weale, S., & Perraudin, F. (2016, September 23). University Mental Health Services Face Strain as Demand Rises 50%. The Guardian. Available at https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/sep/23/university-mental-health-services-face-strain-as-demand-rises-50. Accessed May 30, 2018.