Institutional Obstacles to China in Adopting the Real Property Tax
This chapter offers an analysis of the institutional obstacles to adopting the local property tax in China, including the property right and use right to urban land. It traces the turnover from private to public ownership of land in rural and urban areas around the founding in 1949 of the People’s Republic of China and subsequent changes, which inspires insight into this problem unique to China. The chapter then taps into why local governments can capitalize on the state ownership of urban land to build infrastructure and how they did it within a two-decade period, as well as the problems involved in doing so.
- Bai, Y. F. (2016). Review of opposing opinions to the real property tax in China. In Y. L. Hou, Q. Ren, & H. T. Ma (Eds.), Research in scheme design of China’s local property tax (pp. 186–201). Beijing: Economic Science Press, 白彦锋. 反对开征房地产税意见综述.Google Scholar
- Dong, S. J. (1951). On the land reform by the Chinese Communist Party. Hong Kong: The Free Press. 董时进《论共产党的土地改革》香港, 自由出版社.Google Scholar
- Hou, Y. L., Ren, Q., & Zhang, P. (2014). The property tax in China: History, pilots, and prospects. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Jia, K. (2015). The property tax is not far from us (in Chinese). Beijing: People’s Press. 贾康等《房地产税离我们并不远》人民出版社.Google Scholar
- Jiang, Z., & Gao, P. Y. (2014). Incremental promotion of the residential property tax. Macro Economic Research, 6, 8–12. 蒋震、高培勇. 渐进式推进个人房产税改革《宏观经济研究》.Google Scholar
- Jin, Y’. A., & Xie, Y. (2016). Inequality in China’s household assets, #2 Reports Series on the Livelihood of the Chinese. Beijing, Peking University.Google Scholar
- Wang, C. Y. (2011). Comments on doubts about the property tax. Public Finance Research, 2, 12–20. 王诚尧. 评论对推进房地产税改革持有怀疑的各种观点《财政研究》.Google Scholar
- Xiong, J. M. (2010). The misfortune of a forerunner. The 21st Century Magazine by the Chinese University of Hong Kong. 熊景明 “先知者的悲哀” 原载香港中文大学《21 世纪》. Online at http://chinainperspective.com/ArtShow.aspx?AID=27685. Accessed 11 Feb 2017.
- Xu, S. D. (2015). Caution with property tax legislation. Tsinghua Finance Review, 2015(10), 52–59. 许善达. 房地产税立法需要慎之又慎.《清华金融评论》第 10 期.Google Scholar
- Yang, B. (2007). A debate about directions of the property tax reform and the schemes of local government revenue. Taxation Research, 2007(3), 43–48.Google Scholar
- Zhang, L. F. (2011). Dong Shijin’s policy proposal to Mao Zedong. Yan Huang Chun Qiu《炎黄春秋》4. Online at http://blog.caijing.com.cn/topic_article-151497-50178.shtml. Accessed 11 Feb 2017 章立凡 “董时进上毛主席书”.
- Zhang, L. S., & Sun, F. Y. (2017). Blockade of the reforms: Display, causes, and remedy. Beijing: China Social Science Literature Press. 张林山、孙凤仪《改革梗阻现象: 表现、根源与治理》北京: 中国社会科学文献出版社.Google Scholar