Youth-Friendly Rheumatology Services
Paediatric and adult healthcare services approach adolescents and young adults (AYAs) differently. All rheumatology services should recognise AYAs as a distinct patient group with unique healthcare and psychosocial needs. AYAs require treatment within their wider psychosocial context, taking into account the life changes and transitions that shape this stage of development. Flexible, person-centred developmentally appropriate healthcare, peer support and knowledge and skills training are important for this group of individuals for whom feeling “normal” is of major importance.
KeywordsAdolescence Transition Young adult Rheumatology Youth-friendly health services Developmentally appropriate healthcare
- 1.World Health Organisation (WHO). 2015. Global standards for quality health care services for adolescents. http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/global-standards-adolescent-care/en/. Accessed 30th Jan 2018.
- 2.Department of Health (DoH). 2011. Quality criteria for young people friendly health services. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/216350/dh_127632.pdf. Accessed 30th Jan 2018.
- 3.World Health Organisation (WHO). Towards adolescent-responsive health systems: steering the transition from adolescent-friendly projects to adolescent-responsive health systems. http://apps.who.int/adolescent/second-decade/section6/page8/sdolescent-responsiveness.html. Accessed 30th Jan 2018.
- 7.Northumbria Healthcare NHS Trust. Developmentally appropriate healthcare toolkit. https://www.northumbria.nhs.uk/quality-and-safety/clinical-trials/for-healthcare-professionals/. Accessed 30th Jan 2018.
- 8.Royal College of Physicians. Acute care toolkit 13: acute care for adolescents and young adults. https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/guidelines-policy/acute-care-toolkit-13-acute-care-adolescents-and-young-adults. Accessed 30th Jan 2018.
- 10.YPHSIG App. https://app.appinstitute.com/heeadsss
- 13.EULAR/PReS Online Course in Pediatric Rheumatology. https://www.eular.org/edu_online_course_paediatric.cfm. Accessed 30th Jan 2018.
- 14.EuTEACH. European training in effective adolescent care and health. https://www.unil.ch/euteach/en/home.html. Accessed 30th Jan 2018.
- 15.e-Learning for Healthcare. Adolescent Health Programme. https://www.e-lfh.org.uk/programmes/adolescent-health/. Accessed 30th Jan 2018.