Vision and Tensions That Elevate Product Design Development
Product development requires both converging and diverging approaches for addressing complex problems and challenges. Teaching this methodology, and best practices have been successful in a studio and project-based pedagogy. Because of this specific type of teaching and learning environment, designers and engineers are able to work collaboratively while relying on a resilient design process. This design process relies on a human-centered philosophy that drives the intent, methodology, analysis, and contextual solutions.
KeywordsProduct design Engineering design Product development Design process Mindset Divergent thinking Convergent thinking Process oriented
- Brown, T. (2009). Change by design: How design thinking transforms organizations and inspires innovation. New York, NY: Harper Business.Google Scholar
- Cao, J. (2016). Bloomberg News. Retrieved February, 2017, from https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-25/ibm-hired-hundreds-of-designers-to-figure-out-what-customers-want.
- Clinch, C. (2016). OpenIDEO Water and Sanitation Challenge. Retrieved February, 2018, from https://challenges.openideo.com/challenge/water-and-sanitation/ideas/the-rorus-filter-pack-simple-clean-water.
- Clinch, C., & Eisen, U. (2018). Retrieved February, 2018, from https://www.rorusinc.com/.
- Design Council UK. (2018). Retrieved February, 2018, from http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/news-opinion/design-process-what-double-diamond.
- Ha, A. (2014). Retrieved February, 2018, from https://techcrunch.com/2014/10/02/adaptive-path-acquired-by-capital-one/.
- Heskett, J. (1985). Industrial Design (World of Art), Thames & Hudson.Google Scholar
- NASA Education. (2017). Retrieved April, 2018, from https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/best/edp.html.
- Schon, D. A. (1990). Educating the reflective practitioner: Toward a new design for teaching and learning in the professions (1st ed.). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Vanhemert, K. (2015). Wired Magazine. Retrieved February, 2018, from https://www.wired.com/2015/05/consulting-giant-mckinsey-bought-top-design-firm/.
- Wilson, M. (2014). Co.Design Magazine. Retrieved February, 2018, from https://www.fastcodesign.com/3028271/ibm-invests-100-million-to-expand-design-business.
- World Health Organization and UNICEF. (2012). Progress on Drinking Water and Sanitation: 2012 Update. New York, NY: WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation.Google Scholar