Is Addis Ababa Wi-Fi Ready?
As we are heading towards future ubiquitous networks, heterogeneity is one key aspect we need to deal with. Interworking between Cellular and WLAN holds a major part in these future networks. Among other potential benefits it gives the opportunity to offload traffic from the former to the latter. To successfully accomplish that, we need to thoroughly study the availability, capacity and performance of both networks. To quantify the possibility of mobile traffic offloading, this work-in-progress presents the availability, capacity and performance investigation of Wi-Fi Access Points in the city of Addis Ababa. Analysis of the scanned data, collected by travelling through the highly populated business areas of the city, reveals the potential of existing Wi-Fi coverage and capability for many application domains.
KeywordsWireless networks Performance evaluation Urban areas Heterogeneous networks
- 1.Wood, R.: Wireless network traffic worldwide: forecasts and analysis 2013–2018. Research Forecast Report, Analysys Mason Ltd., London, October 2013Google Scholar
- 2.Gabriel, C.: Wireless broadband alliance industry report 2013: global trends in public Wi-Fi. Technical report, Marvedis Rethink—Wireless Broadband Alliance, Singapore, November 2013Google Scholar
- 3.Jung, H.: Cisco visual networking index: global mobile data traffic forecast update 2010–2015. Technical report, Cisco Systems Inc., September 2011Google Scholar
- 5.Sommers, J., Barford, P.: Cell vs. WiFi: on the performance of metro area mobile connections. In: Proceedings of the 2012 Internet Measurement Conference, IMC 2012, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 14–16 November 2012, pp. 301–314. ACM, New York (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Mota, V.F.S., Macedo, D.F., Ghamri-Doudane, Y., Nogueira, J.M.S.: On the feasibility of WiFi offloading in urban areas: the Paris case study. In: IFIP Wireless Days, 2013 IFIP, Valencia, Spain, 13–15 November 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/wd.2013.6686530
- 8.Balasubramanian, A., Mahajan, R., Venkataramani, A.: Augmenting mobile 3G using WiFi. In: Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Mobile systems, applications, and services, MobiSys 2010, San Francisco, California, USA, 15–18 June 2010, pp. 209–222. ACM, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Jones, K., Liu, L.: What where Wi: an analysis of millions of Wi-Fi access points. IEEE International Conference on Portable Information Devices, pp. 1–4 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Berezin, M.E., Rousseau, F., Duda, A.: Citywide mobile internet access using dense urban WiFi coverage. In: Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Urban Networking, UrbaNE 2012, Nice, France, 10 December 2012, pp. 31–36. ACM, New York (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Afanasyev, M., Chen, T., Voelker, G.M., Snoeren, A.C.: Analysis of a mixed-use urban WiFi network: when metropolitan becomes neapolitan. In: Proceedings of the 8th ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Internet Measurement, IMC 2008, Vouliagmeni, Greece, 20–22 October 2008, pp. 85–98. ACM, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Lopez-Aguilera, E., Heusse, M., Rousseau, F., Duda, A., Casademont, J.: Performance of wireless LAN access methods in multicell environments. IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, GLOBECOM 2006, San Francisco, CA, USA, 27 November – 1 December 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/glocom.2006.782
- 13.Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications. IEEE Std 802.11–2012, March 2012Google Scholar