Critical Care Nursing of the Adult with Congenital Heart Disease
Currently, pediatric intensive care nurses are being expected to care for more adult congenital heart disease (ACHD) patients than ever. It is therefore essential that intensive care nurses prepare for the challenges in managing these patients. A thorough preoperative preparation must be completed prior to the ACHD patient’s admission to the intensive care unit (ICU) to facilitate efficient nursing interventions during the postoperative period. Furthermore, a full psychosocial and neurodevelopment assessment can identify psychological stressors that may impact recovery and extend hospitalization. Many factors and comorbidities can affect the postoperative recovery for the ACHD patients. The pediatric ICU nurse must remain diligent and prevent complications from occurring to promote the best possible outcomes.
KeywordsIntensive care unit ACHD patients Psychosocial issues Heart failure Atrial arrhythmias Hemodynamic management Pulmonary hypertension Pain management
- 4.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2016. https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/heartdefects/data.html. Accessed 8 July 2017.
- 6.Perry J, Lanzberg M, Franklin W, Webb G, Chang AC, et al. Cardiac intensive care of the adult with congenital heart disease: basic principles in the management of common problems. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2011;2:430–44. https://doi.org/10.1177/2150135111407936.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 22.Nieves J, Haynes A. Pulmonary hypertension in the adult with congenital heart disease. The Society of Pediatric Cardiovascular Nurse. October 2015. http://www.spcnonline.com/download/guidelines/adult_chd_care_problems/PulmonaryHypertensioninAdultswithCongenitalHeartDisease-Final2015.pdf. Accessed 10 June 2017.
- 28.American Heart Association. http://cpr.heart.org/AHAECC/CPRAndECC/Training/HealthcareProfessional/AdvancedCardiovascularLifeSupportACLS/UCM_473186_Advanced-Cardiovascular-Life-Support-ACLS.jsp. Accessed 11 July 2017.
- 29.Rummell M. Postoperative glycemic control in adults with CHD. The Society of Pediatric Cardiovascular Nurse. September 2015. http://www.spcnonline.com/download/guidelines/adult_chd_care_problems/PostoperativeGlycemic Control-Final2015.pdf. Accessed 10 June 2017.