Varieties Related to the Problem of Lifting \(G_r\)-Modules to G
Let G be a simple simply connected algebraic group over an algebraically closed field k of characteristic p, with rth Frobenius kernel \(G_r\). Let M be a \(G_r\)-module and V a rational G-module. We put a variety structure on the set of all \(G_r\)-summands of V that are isomorphic to M, and study basic properties of these varieties. This is primarily to set the stage for later work that will bring techniques from geometric invariant theory to bear on the problem of lifting \(G_r\)-modules to G. However, we do give a few applications of the work in this paper to the representation theory of G, in particular noting that the truth of Donkin’s tilting module conjecture is equivalent to the linearizability of G-actions on certain affine spaces.
2010 Mathematics Subject Classification17B10 (primary ) 20G05 (secondary)
We wish to thank Chris Drupieski and Eric Friedlander for helpful comments on an earlier version of this paper. We thank Hanspeter Kraft for pointing us to work on reductive groups acting on affine spaces in positive characteristic. This work was partially supported by the Research Training Grant, DMS-1344994, from the NSF.
- 2.A. Bialynicki-Birula, Remarks on the action of an algebraic torus on \(k^n\), Bull. Acad. Polon. Sci. Ser. Sci. Math. Astronom. Phys. 14 (1966), 177–181.Google Scholar
- 5.Huisgen-Zimmermann, B. Fine and coarse moduli spaces in the representation theory of finite dimensional algebras. Expository lectures on representation theory, 1–34, Contemp. Math., 607, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, (2014).Google Scholar
- 7.J.C. Jantzen, Representations of Algebraic Groups, 2nd ed. Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, 107, American Mathematical Society 2003.Google Scholar
- 10.P. Sobaje, On liftings of projective indecomposable \(G_1\)-modules, J. of Algebra 475 (2017), 61–79 (Sandy Green Memorial issue).Google Scholar
- 11.P. Sobaje, On \((p,r)\)-filtrations and tilting modules, to appear in Proc. Amer. Math. Soc.Google Scholar
- 12.T. A. Springer, Linear Algebraic Groups, Progress in Math. 9, Birkhäuser, 1998.Google Scholar