Robust Block Preconditioners for Biot’s Model
In this paper, we design robust and efficient block preconditioners for the two-field formulation of Biot’s consolidation model, where stabilized finite-element discretizations are used. The proposed block preconditioners are based on the well-posedness of the discrete linear systems. Block diagonal (norm-equivalent) and block triangular preconditioners are developed, and we prove that these methods are robust with respect to both physical and discretization parameters. Numerical results are presented to support the theoretical results.
- 1.J.H. Adler, X. Hu, L.T. Zikatanov, HAZMATH: A simple finite element, graph, and solver library, hazmath.netGoogle Scholar
- 12.S.C Eisenstat, H.C. Elman, M.H. Schultz, Variational iterative methods for nonsymmetric systems of linear equations. SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 20(2), 345–357 (1983)Google Scholar
- 13.H.C. Elman, Iterative methods for large, sparse, nonsymmetric systems of linear equations, Ph.D. thesis, Yale University New Haven, Conn, 1982Google Scholar
- 20.J. Kim, Sequential methods for coupled geomechanics and multiphase flow, Ph.D. thesis, Stanford University, 2010Google Scholar
- 21.J. Kim, H.A. Tchelepi, R. Juanes, Stability, accuracy and efficiency of sequential methods for coupled flow and geomechanics, in SPE Reservoir Simulation Symposium (Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2009)Google Scholar