Clinical Neuropsychology Practice and the Medicare Patient
Neuropsychology practices continue to see increasing constraints on utilization and reimbursement by Medicare and other payors. In this updated chapter, the authors share insights regarding the business aspects of providing clinical neuropsychological care to Medicare patients as of 2017 and in the era of the Trump government’s approach to health care. They discuss the internal revenue and cost drivers of today’s neuropsychology practice and emphasize a proactive approach—whether in the private or institutional setting—to business planning and management. This chapter will help neuropsychologists maintain both fiscal viability and a high level of professional quality in patient care and to move forward in keeping with the rapidly changing health-care market.
This chapter is divided into three sections. First, the authors delve into cost drivers and frequent inefficiencies of the practice. Next, the authors address common Medicare scenarios, sharing both examples and helpful forms. Finally, the authors share several insights on the future of neuropsychology and their recommendations for thriving amidst the changes that will come.
KeywordsMedicare Business issues Managed care Office overhead costs Practice expenses Cost of practice Medicare opt-out issues
- 1.http://www.kff.org/medicare/timeline/pf_intro.htm. Accessed 29 May 2011.
- 2.President Richard M. Nixon. Health care: requests for action on three programs (1972, March 2), message to Congress on Health Care, Congressional Quarterly Almanac 1972. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly Books; 1972. p. 43A.Google Scholar
- 3.http://www.managedcaremuseum.com. Accessed 25 May 2011.
- 5.Medicare and Medicaid statistical supplement (2010 Edition). Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services; 2010.Google Scholar
- 6.www.kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/total -medicare beneficiaries. Accessed 28 July 2017.
- 7.Peck EA. Business aspects of private practice in clinical neuropsychology. In: Lamberty GJ, Courtney JC, Heilbronner RL, editors. The practice of clinical neuropsychology: a survey of practices and settings. Lisse: Swets & Zeitlinger; 2003.Google Scholar
- 8.Transmittal 1279. Change request 5613, Pub 100-04 for Medicare claims processing. Department of Health & Human Services, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. http://www.cms.gov//transmittals/downloads/R1279CP.pdf. 29 June 2007.
- 9.Medicare participation options for physicians. The American Medical Association; 2010.Google Scholar
- 10.http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/ssact/title18/1862.htm. Accessed 25 May 2011.
- 11.http://oig.hhs.gov/fraud/docs/alertsandbulletins/121994.html. Accessed 25 May 2011.
- 12.https://www.cms.gov/bni/. Accessed 25 May 2011.