Designing Sustainable Business Models: Exploring IoT-Enabled Strategies to Drive Sustainable Consumption
Sustainable business models, and product service systems (PSS) specifically, have been positioned as a way to achieve greater levels of sustainability. The Internet of Things (IoT) has been described as a trend that is shaping future innovations. Here, we focus on how IoT capabilities could be leveraged in PSS to encourage sustainable consumption during the use phase. We investigate the following question: How can IoT capabilities be used to design appropriate PSS solutions that encourage sustainable consumption? We develop and apply a framework to existing business cases to support sustainable business model design. We identify strategies that could improve sustainability performance in the use phase. Future research could explore the actual implementation of such strategies, including the value proposition offered to consumers.
KeywordsIoT Sustainable business model Sustainable behavior Sustainable consumption Product life cycle Sustainable PSS
This work was funded by the Circular European Economy Innovative Training Network, Circ€uit, an action funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska Curie Action 2016 (Grant Agreement number 721909).
- Atzori, L., A. Iera, and G. Morabito.2016. Understanding the Internet of Things: Definition, Potentials, and Societal Role of a Fast-Evolving Paradigm. Ad Hoc Networks56: 122–140. Elsevier B.V. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adhoc.2016.12.004.
- Backers, K., and U. Tietge.2017. Cleaner Car Contracts Benchmark 2017. Overview of Vehicle Fleets and Efficiency Benchmark. Cleaner Car Contracts and ICCT, April 2017. Accessed February 20, 2018. https://www.natuurenmilieu.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/CCC_benchmark_overview_2017_170501v2-003.pdf.
- Bhamra, T., D. Lilley, and T. Tang. 2008. Sustainable Use: Changing Consumer Behavior Through Product Design. In Proceedings of Changing the Change: Design Visions, Proposals and Tools, Turin, Italy.Google Scholar
- Bocken, N.M.P., C.A. Bom, and H. Lemstra.2017. Business-Led Sustainable Consumption Strategies: The Case of HOMIE. In 18th ERSCP Conference, Greece, 1–5 October 2017.Google Scholar
- Boons, F., and N. Bocken.2017. Business Models and the Sharing Economy: An Ecosystem Perspective. In Product Lifetimes and the Environment (PLATE), 8–10 November 2017.Google Scholar
- Car2Go. 2018. Factsheets. Accessed March 22, 2018. https://brandhub.car2go.com/web/6570a0eb69e15b2f/factsheets/.
- Chambers, N.2010. New Toyota MPG Initiative: “Drive Like You’ve Got a Glass of Water on Your Dash”. Popular Mechanics. Accessed April 4, 2018. https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a5996/new-toyota-mpg-initiative/.
- Chase, R. 2012. How Technology Enables the Shared Economy. http://www.greenbiz.com/video/2012/05/02/how-technology-enables-shared-economy.
- Environmental Paper Network. 2018. Case Studies. Accessed February 20, 2018. http://www.environmentalpaper.eu/projects/about-shrinkpaper/case-studies/.
- Greenwheels. 2018. About Greenwheels. Accessed March 22, 2018. https://www.greenwheels.com/nl/nl-en/private/about-greenwheels.
- Heiskanen, E., and M. Jalas.2000. Dematerialization Through Services—A Review and Evaluation of the Debate. The Finnish Environment 436 Ministry of the Environment Environmental Protection Department, Helsinki.Google Scholar
- Kraaijenhagen, C., C.VanOppen, and N.Bocken. 2016. Circular Business. Collaborate & Circulate. Circular Collaboration, Amersfoort, The Netherlands. https://circularcollaboration.com/.
- Lightfoot, H.W., T. Baines, and P. Smart. 2011. Examining the Information and Communication Technologies Enabling Servitized Manufacture. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture 225 (10): 1964–1968. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954405411399019.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lilley, D., V.A. Lo house, and T.A. Bhamra. 2005. Towards Instinctive Sustainable Product Use. In 2nd International Conference in Sustainability, Creating the Culture, 2–4 November, Aberdeen Exhibition & Conference Centre, Aberdeen.Google Scholar
- Miele. 2018a. Philosophy. Accessed March 22, 2018. https://www.miele.com/en/com/philosophy-2095.htm.
- ———. 2018b. Sustainability. Accessed March 22, 2018. https://www.miele.com/en/com/4782.htm.
- ———. 2018c. Freedom at Home. Accessed March 22, 2018. https://www.miele.co.uk/brand/smarthome-28350.htm.
- Mont, O. 2004. Reducing Life-Cycle Environmental Impacts Through Systems of Joint Use. Greener Management International (45): 63–77. https://doi.org/10.9774/GLEAF.3062.2004.sp.00006.
- Patagonia. 2011. Introducing the Common Threads Initiative—Reduce, Repair, Reuse, Recycle, Reimagine. Accessed March 1, 2018. https://www.patagonia.com/blog/2011/09/introducing-the-common-threads-initiative/.
- Philips Lighting Holding B.V.2017. Case Study. Schiphol Airport Maakt Verantwoorde Keuze Voor Circulaire Verlichting, May 2017.Google Scholar
- Ries, E. 2011. The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses. London: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Sustainable Development Commission (SDC). 2006. I Will If You Will: Towards Sustainable Consumption. ISBN: 1 899581 84 7.Google Scholar
- Tang, T. 2010. Towards Sustainable Use: Design Behavior Intervention to Reduce Household Environment Impact. Loughborough: Loughborough University.Google Scholar
- Thaler, R.H., and C.R. Sunstein. 2008. Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Whirlpool. 2018. Connected Appliances. Accessed March 22, 2018. https://www.whirlpool.com/home-innovations/connected-appliances.html.
- Zipcar. 2018. Miles Included. Accessed March 22, 2018. https://support.zipcar.com/hc/en-us/articles/220623207-Miles-Included.