Behind the Scenes: EU Images and Perceptions in South Korea
Intensity and acceleration characterise the contemporary dialogue between Europe and South Korea, with the EU–South Korea Free Trade Agreement (signed in 2011) setting the benchmark for relations which are expected to widen and deepen. This chapter hypothesises a set of influencing factors that shape EU images in South Korea based on the analysis of the Korean news media and perceptions among general public opinion towards the EU. These factors are grouped as: (1) those that exist exclusively in Korea; (2) those that are EU-specific; (3) global factors shaped by the international system; and (4) factors that are related to EU–Korea interaction. The dataset is derived from three reputable Korean newspapers (monitored in April 1–June 30, 2015) and a public opinion poll (1238 respondents surveyed in August 2015).
- Chaban, N., & Chung, S. (2009). Public Perceptions of the EU in South Korea: Longitudinal Study (2004–2006). Asia-Europe Journal of EU Studies, 7(1–2), 19–40.Google Scholar
- Chaban, N., & Holland, M. (Eds.). (2014). Communicating Europe in the Times of Crisis: External Perceptions of the European Union. Houndmills: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Chung, S. (2013). External Images of the EU: Comparative Analysis of EU Representations in Three Major South Korean Newspapers and Their Internet Editions. Ph.D. thesis, University of Canterbury.Google Scholar
- Chung, S. (2016). Examining the EU’s Normative Roles on the Korean Peninsula: The EU’s Non-proliferation Policy Towards North Korea. Korean Journal of European Integration, 7(1), 97–126.Google Scholar
- Consilium. (2017). North Korea: EU Expands Sanctions Against the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) in line with UN Security Council Resolution. Available online http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2017/02/27-north-korea-sanctions/ (accessed March 13, 2017).
- European External Action Service. High Representative Mogherini Presents EU Global Strategy for Foreign and Security Policy. Available online https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/headquarters-homepage/7337/high-representative-mogherini-presents-eu-global-strategy-foreign-and-security-policy_en (accessed March 7, 2017).
- European Union External Action. Statement on the Nuclear Test in the DPRK. Available online https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/headquarters-homepage_en/9582/Statement%20on%20the%20nuclear%20test%20in%20the%20DPRK (accessed January 24, 2017).
- EU Delegation to Korea. EU—ROK Non-proliferation Seminar on the Nuclear and Ballistic Dimension of the DPRK Crisis. Available online https://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/south-korea/12946/eu–-rok-non-proliferation-seminar-on-the-nuclear-and-ballistic-dimension-of-the-dprk-crisis_en (accessed January 24, 2017).
- EU Global Perceptions, Methodology, Media Analysis. Available online http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/ncre/research/euperceptions/methodology/ (accessed March 17, 2017).
- EU Global Strategy (EUGS). (2016). Shared Vision, Common Action: A Stronger Europe – A Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign and Security Policy. Available online https://europa.eu/globalstrategy/sites/globalstrategy/files/pages/files/eugs_review_web_9.pdf (accessed March 7, 2017).
- Godement, F. (2016). Director, Asia Programme, European Council on Foreign Relations. In Towards an EU Global Strategy—Consulting the Experts. Paris: EUISS. Available online https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/196719/EUGS_Expert_Opinions.pdf (accessed April 25, 2017).
- Gigliotti, D. (2017). Republic of Korea Desk, European External Action Service (EEAS), interviewed in Brussels, February 23, 2017.Google Scholar
- PPMI/NCRE/NFG. (2015). Analysis of the Perception of the EU and EU’s Policies Abroad—Final Report. Available online http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/fpi/showcases/eu_perceptions_study_en.htm (accessed March 17, 2018).
- Chosun Daily. “Libia Nanminsŏn Chijunghae Ch’immol 700myŏng Samang”「 리비아 난민선 지중해 침몰… 700명 사망 」[Libya Refugee Ships sunk in the Mediterranean Sea…700 died]. Available online http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/04/20/2015042000220.html (accessed February 8, 2017).
- Chosun Daily. “EU Nanmin Milipguk Ch’adan wihae Kunsaryŏk Tongwŏn”「EU“난민 밀입국 차단 위해 군사력 동원”」[EU mobilised Military forces to block refugee ’s illegal entries]. Available online http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/05/20/2015052000344.html (accessed February 8, 2017).
- Chosun Daily. “Dip’oltŭhago Saech’ulbal” “Bit T’anggamaejwŏya” K’ŭrugŭmŏn P’ik’et’I, Kŭrisŭ Haebbŏp Chegakgak Kyŏngje Kosudŭl Saiesŏdo Ikyŏn”「“디폴트하고 새출발” “빚 탕감해줘야” 크루그먼•피케티, 그리스 해법 제각각 경제 高手들 사이에서도 이견」[“A new start after the default” “The debt should be written off” Krugman•Piketty had different opinions and solution about Greek financial crisis]. Available online http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/06/29/2015062903557.html (accessed May 5, 2017).
- Chosun Daily. “ECB (Yurŏpjungangŭnhaeng) Yangjŏkwanhwahu…Gungnae Ch’aegwŏn Ssŭrŏdamŭn Yurŏp Chagŭm,”「 ECB(유럽중앙은행) 양적완화 후… 국내 채권 쓸어담은 유럽 자금 」[ECB after the quantitative easing…Europe fund which swept Korean bond]. Available online http://biz.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/06/10/2015061004420.html (accessed May 5, 2017).
- Chosun Daily. “Sugaewŏlnae Taerŏshia Cheje Haeje Kŏmt’o”「 “수개월 내 對러시아 제재 해제 검토”」[(The EU) is considering the termination of sanction towards Russia in several months]. Available online http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/06/13/2015061300244.html (accessed May 5, 2017).
- Chosun Daily. “Ch’ilshibbun Chigakan P’utin, Togilŏro Hwanyŏngan Kyohwang”「70분 지각한 푸틴, 독일어로 환영한 교황」[Putin came late 70 minutes, the Pope greeted him in German]. Available online http://premium.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/06/12/2015061200319.html (accessed May 5, 2017).
- Chosun Daily. “T’ŭggŭp Sŭngjin”「특급승진」[A Special Promotion]. Available online http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/06/13/2015061300244.html (accessed May 5, 2017).
- Chung, S., & Park, S. (2016). A Study on EU Images Reflected on the Korean Media: Focusing on Major Dailies and Economic Paper. Korean Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 34(4), 299–330. (In Korean).Google Scholar
- Chung, S., et al. (2017). A Framing Analysis of the Korean Society Based on Entman’s Cascading Activation Model: In the Case of Korea’s EU Perceptions. Korean Journal of EU Studies, 22(1), 55–80. (in Korean).Google Scholar
- Joongang Daily. “UN Daebuk jejae yŏnghyang, EU-bukhan Kyoyŏgaek Kamso”「유엔 대북 제재 영향, EU-북한 교역액 감소」[Decrease in Trade amount between the EU and North Korea due to the UN’s restrictive measures upon North Korea]. Available online http://news.joins.com/article/20453793 (accessed January 24, 2017).
- Joongang Daily. “Kŭrisŭ Kujegŭmyung Hyŏpsang Ildan Kyŏllyŏl…Naeil Tashi Nonŭi”「그리스 구제금융 협상 일단 결렬…내일 다시 논의」[Greek Relief Fund Negotiation broken down…will be discussed again tomorrow]. Available online http://news.jtbc.joins.com/article/ArticlePrint.aspx?news_id=NB10941112 (accessed May 5, 2017).
- Joongang Daily. “Yuro Yagse Shok’ŭ…Hangguk Such’uli Unda,”「 유로 약세 쇼크 … 한국 수출이 운다 」[Weak Euro delivers shock…Korean export will cry]. Available online http://news.jtbc.joins.com/article/article.aspx?news_id=NB10837199 (accessed May 5, 2017).
- Joongang Daily. “Kanch’urin Nyusŭ”「[간추린 뉴스] EU “러시아 제재 내년 1월까지 연장”」[A Special Promotion]. Available online http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/06/13/2015061300244.html (accessed May 5, 2017).
- Maeilkyŏngje Shinmun. “Shibŏk Ch’aengginu Chijunghaee Nanmin Pŏrinŭn Akma Pŭrok’ ŏ「10억 챙긴후 지중해에 난민 버리는 ‘악마 브로커’」[Evil Brokers who threw the refugees into the Mediterranean Sea taking the amount equivalent to 1 Billion Korean Won]. Available online http://news.mk.co.kr/newsRead.php?year=2015&no=380728 (accessed February 8, 2017).
- Maeilkyŏngje Shinmun. “Tomae Orŭn Yurŏpimin Chŏngch’aek”「 도마에 오른 유럽이민정책」[European Migration Policy on the Cutting Board]. Available online http://news.mk.co.kr/newsRead.php?year=2015&no=385215 (accessed February 8, 2017).
- Maeil Kyungje Shinmun. “Kŭrisŭ Tip’olt’ŭ Shianp’okt’an ije namŭnshiganŭn handalbbun”.”「그리스 ‘디폴트 시한폭탄’ 이제 남은시간은 한달뿐」[Greek Default time bomb, now you have only one month]. Available online http://news.mk.co.kr/newsRead.php?year=2015&no=525513 (accessed May 5, 2017).
- Maeil Kyungje Shinmun. “Hanguk Such’ul Sŏlsanggasang,”「 한국수출 설상가상 」[Korean Export faces worse case scenarios]. Available online http://mba.mk.co.kr/view.php?sc=30000001&cm=%C0%CE%C5%CD%BA%E4&year=2015&no=538697&relatedcode (accessed May 5, 2017).
- Maeil Kyungje Shinmun. “Yurŏp Yangjŏgwanhwa•hanŭn Kŭmni Inna Chŭngshie Mungch’i Ton,”「 유럽 양적완화•한은 금리인하로 증시에 뭉칫돈 」[Bulk Money in Korean stock market from Europe’s quantitative easing-Korean Bank’s interest cut]. Available online http://m.mk.co.kr/news/headline/2015/387051 (accessed May 5, 2017).
- Radio Free Asia. “Molt’a Chi’lwŏlhu Puk Nodongja Koyonghŏga Ŏpssŏ”「몰타 “7월 후 ‘북 노동자’ 고용허가 없어”」[No Work Permit for North Korean workers in Malta after July], 16/08/2016. Available online http://www.rfa.org/korean/in_focus/food_international_org/nkworkers-10132016143642.html (accessed January 24, 2017).
- Yonhap News, “Chŏngbu Kugjesahoe Taebukjejaero Buk Oehwasuip Sonshil Yiŏk Dalŏ”「정부 “국제사회 대북제재로 北 외화수입 손실 2억 달러”」[Korean Government announces “North Korea had a loss on foreign exchange revenue which is amount 200 Million US Dollars because of international society’s restriction], 02/12/2016. Available online http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2016/12/02/0200000000AKR20161202067000014.HTML?from=search (accessed January 24, 2017).
- Zang, B. (2013). A Short Study on the University Students’ Perception of the EU and Its Implication. Journal of European Union Studies, 33, 195–217.Google Scholar