A “Normal” Regional Organization: Explaining Eurasian Integration
In this final chapter, we discuss the theoretical and ideological background of Eurasian integration. Here, we highlight the specific nature of Eurasian integration and develop the theoretical concept of holding-together integration that applies best in this case. A comparative analysis of the EAEU with other large regional integration organizations follows. Then we discuss various policy proposals based on the international experience of regional integration organizations across the world.
- EDB Centre for Integration Studies (2016). Monitoring of Mutual Investments in CIS Countries 2016. Report No. 39. Saint Petersburg: Eurasian Development Bank. Available at: https://eabr.org/en/analytics/integration-research/cii-reports/monitoring-of-mutual-investments-in-cis-countries-2016/.
- Eurasian Monitor (2007). The Russian Language in the Newly Independent States: Status and Prospects. Analytical Report. Available at: http://www.eurasiamonitor.org/rus/research/event-150.html.
- Florovsky, G. (1993). The Eurasian Temptation. In: Novikova, L. and Sizemskaya, I. (1993) Russia between Europe and Asia: The Eurasian Temptation. Anthology. Moscow: Nauka, pp. 237–266.Google Scholar
- Laruelle, M. (2008). Russian Eurasianism: An Ideology of Empire. Washington, DC: Woodrow Wilson Centre Press.Google Scholar
- Nysanbaev, A. and Kurmanbaev, E. (1999). The Eurasian Idea of Chokan Valikhanov. Eurasian Community, 2, pp. 26–31.Google Scholar
- Shleifer, A. and Treisman, D. (2004). A Normal Country. Foreign Affairs, 2 (83), March–April, pp. 20–38.Google Scholar
- Sterzhneva, M. (1999). The European Union and the CIS: Comparative Analysis of Institutions. Moscow: Moscow Public Science Fund.Google Scholar
- Vinokurov, E. (2010). The Evolution of Kazakhstan’s Position on Relations with Russia in 1991–2010, MPRA Paper, No. 22187. Available at: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/22187/.
- Vinokurov, E. (ed.) (2014). System of Indicators of Eurasian Integration II. Report No. 22. Saint Petersburg: Eurasian Development Bank. Available at: https://eabr.org/en/analytics/integration-research/cii-reports/edb-system-of-indicators-of-eurasian-integration/
- Vinokurov, E. (2016). Eurasian Economic Union: A Sober Look. Voprosy Ekonomiki, 12, pp. 43–60.Google Scholar
- Vinokurov, E. and Libman, A. (2012a) Eurasian Continental Integration. Saint Petersburg: EDB Centre for Integration Studies. Available at: https://eabr.org/en/analytics/integration-research/cii-reports/evraziyskaya-kontinentalnaya-integraciya-eurasian-continental-integration/.
- Vinokurov, E. and Libman, A. (2013). Two Eurasian Integrations. Voprosy Ekonomiki, 2, pp. 47–72.Google Scholar