Distribution of Large Gaps Between Primes
We survey some past conditional results on the distribution of large gaps between consecutive primes and examine how the Hardy–Littlewood prime k-tuples conjecture can be applied to this question.
The authors wish to express their sincere gratitude and appreciation to the anonymous referee for carefully reading the original version of this paper and for making a number of very helpful comments and suggestions.
- 1.E. Carneiro, M.B. Milinovich, K. Soundararajan, Fourier optimization and prime gaps (submitted for publication). Available at https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.04122
- 2.H. Cramér, Some theorems concerning prime numbers. Arkiv för Mat. Astr. och Fys. 15(5), 1–32 (1920)Google Scholar
- 7.P.X. Gallagher, J.H. Mueller, Primes and zeros in short intervals. J. Reine Angew. Math. 303/304, 205–220 (1978)Google Scholar
- 9.D.A. Goldston, A.H. Ledoan, On the Differences Between Consecutive Prime Numbers, I, Integers 12B (2012/13), 8 pp. [Paper No. A3]. Also appears in: Combinatorial Number Theory (Proceedings of the “Integers Conference 2011,” Carrollton, Georgia, October 26–29, 2011), De Gruyter Proceedings in Mathematics (2013), pp. 37–44Google Scholar
- 10.D.A. Goldston, H.L. Montgomery, Pair correlation of zeros and primes in short intervals, in Analytic Number Theory and Diophantine Problems (Birkhauser, Boston, MA, 1987), pp. 183–203Google Scholar
- 12.H. Halberstam, H.-E. Richert, Sieve Methods. London Mathematical Society Monographs, vol. 4 (Academic Press, London/New York/San Francisco, 1974)Google Scholar
- 13.G.H. Hardy, J.E. Littlewood, Some problems of ‘Partitio numerorum’; III: on the expression of a number as a sum of primes. Acta Math. 44(1), 1–70 (1922). Reprinted in Collected Papers of G.H. Hardy, vol. I (including joint papers with J.E. Littlewood and others; edited by a committee appointed by the London Mathematical Society) (Clarendon Press/Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1966), pp. 561–630Google Scholar
- 16.H.L. Montgomery, The pair correlation of zeros of the zeta function, in Analytic Number Theory, Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics, vol. XXIV (St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO, 1972), pp. 181–193; (American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1973)Google Scholar
- 17.H.L. Montgomery, Early Fourier Analysis. Pure and Applied Undergraduate Texts, vol. 22 (American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 2014)Google Scholar
- 19.J.H. Mueller, On the difference between consecutive primes, in Recent Progress in Analytic Number Theory, Durham, vol. 1 (1979), pp. 269–273 (Academic, London/New York, 1981)Google Scholar
- 20.B. Saffari, R.C. Vaughan, On the fractional parts of x∕n and related sequences, II. Ann. Inst. Fourier (Grenoble) 27(2), 1–30 (1977)Google Scholar