Design Parameters for Drug-Coated Balloons II
The drug-coated balloon (DCB) is an emerging device since the focus on the bioabsorbable stent has shifted due to its mixed results. Currently paclitaxel and sirolimus are two choices in DCBs and both drugs have their own advantages. Use of sirolimus on DCBs is not yet well known but may replace use of of paclitaxel in the coming years when key design criteria are compared. From the scientific perspective, researchers developing DCB in the laboratory need to consider certain criteria. DCB development needs to fulfill multiple criteria with regard to the drug, device, drug carrier, physicochemical properties of the drug and drug carrier, particle size and coating methodology.
KeywordsDrug-coated balloon Sirolimus Paclitaxel
- 2.European Stroke Organisation, Tendera M, Aboyans V, ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines, et al. ESC guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of peripheral artery diseases: document covering atherosclerotic disease of extracranial carotid and vertebral, mesenteric, renal, upper and lower extremity arteries: the Task Force on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Peripheral Artery Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J. 2011;32(22):2851–906.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Zeller T, Schmitmeier S, Tepe G, et al. Drug-coated balloons in the lower limb. J Cardiovasc Surg. 2011;52(2):235–43.Google Scholar
- 6.Scheller B. The Invatec IN-PACT Falcon paclitaxel DEB: device description and clinical studies. In: Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics, Washington, DC, 21–25 Sep 2010.Google Scholar
- 18.Revolvy. Butyryl trihexyl citrate topics. https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Butyryl%20trihexyl%20citrate&stype=topics&cmd=list. Accessed 7 Dec 2017.
- 19.Lemos Neto PA, Farooq V, Takimura CK, Gutierrez PS, Virmani R, Kolodgie F, et al. Emerging technologies: polymer-free phospholipid encapsulated sirolimus nanocarriers for the controlled release of drug from a stent-plus-balloon or a stand-alone balloon catheter. EuroIntervention. 2013;9(1):146–56. https://doi.org/10.4244/EIJV9I1A21.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Takimura CK, Galon MZ, Sojitra P, Doshi M, et al. Excipient:drug dose determination for neointimal hyperplasia as assessed by optical coherence tomography and histopathology in porcine coronary arteries after sirolimus-eluting balloon deployment. Rev Bras Cardiol Invasiva. 2012;20(2):133–9.Google Scholar
- 21.Cortese B, di Palma G, Latini RA, Elwany M, Orrego PS, Seregni RG. Immediate and short-term performance of a novel sirolimus-coated balloon during complex percutaneous coronary interventions. The Fatebenefratelli Sirolimus Coated-Balloon (FASICO) registry. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2017;18(7):487–91.CrossRefGoogle Scholar