There are many factors that can play a role in the susceptibility of infection to lumpy skin disease virus (LSDV). The interaction between the host’s immune system and the virus determines the outcome. Following natural or experimental infection of cattle with virulent LSDV, virus neutralizing antibodies are elicited. These antibodies are detected starting around 15 days following infection, with the titres of the antibodies increasing over the next 2 weeks and then wane. With capripoxvirus infections, mild infections generate lower antibody responses compared to severe infections (Bowden et al. 2009). Unfortunately, following vaccination with several of the currently available vaccines, in many times only low or undetectable levels of virus neutralizing antibodies are elicited.
- Bowden TR, Coupar BE, Babiuk SL, White JR, Boyd V, Duch CJ, Shiell BJ, Ueda N, Parkyn GR, Copps JS, Boyle DB (2009) Detection of antibodies specific for sheeppox and goatpox viruses using recombinant capripoxvirus antigens in an indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. J Virol Methods 161:19–29CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gilchuk P, Spencer CT, Conant SB, Hill T, Gray JJ, Niu X, Zheng M, Erickson JJ, Boyd KL, McAfee KJ, Oseroff C, Hadrup SR, Bennink JR, Hildebrand W, Edwards KM, Crowe JE Jr, Williams JV, Buus S, Sette A, Schumacher TN, Link AJ, Joyce S (2013) Discovering naturally processed antigenic determinants that confer protective T cell immunity. J Clin Invest 123:1976–1987CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Heraud JM, Edghill-Smith Y, Ayala V, Kalisz I, Parrino J, Kalyanaraman VS, Manischewitz J, King LR, Hryniewicz A, Trindade CJ, Hassett M, Tsai WP, Venzon D, Nalca A, Vaccari M, Silvera P, Bray M, Graham BS, Golding H, Hooper JW, Franchini G (2006) Subunit recombinant vaccine protects against monkeypox. J Immunol 177:2552–2564CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Moutaftsi M, Tscharke DC, Vaughan K, Koelle DM, Stern L, Calvo-Calle M, Ennis F, Terajima M, Sutter G, Crotty S, Drexler I, Franchini G, Yewdell JW, Head SR, Blum J, Peters B, Sette A (2010) Uncovering the interplay between CD8, CD4 and antibody responses to complex pathogens. Future Microbiol 5:221–239CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sette A, Grey H, Oseroff C, Peters B, Moutaftsi M, Crotty S, Assarsson E, Greenbaum J, Kim Y, Kolla R, Tscharke D, Koelle D, Johnson RP, Blum J, Head S, Sidney J (2009) Definition of epitopes and antigens recognized by vaccinia specific immune responses: their conservation in variola virus sequences, and use as a model system to study complex pathogens. Vaccine 27(Suppl 6):G21–G26CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar