ReMIS and ReMIS Cloud: Information Systems for Retrieving Disciplinary and Interdisciplinary Data
In this paper, we describe and compare the architectures of the two novel information systems ReMIS and ReMIS Cloud that were designed to retrieve interdisciplinary data. We deal with corresponding data often being spread over numerous, distributed, and heterogeneous data sources. This is a severe limitation for research since a comprehensive analysis can only be done when considering the entire context. Furthermore, analyses would additionally benefit from using interdisciplinary, but still coherent data. We describe the two different information systems and discuss the field of application. We highlight the differences and similarities of the architectures and show their benefit with an example from the archaeo-related sciences for which both information systems are reasonably applicable.
KeywordsAnonymous databases Architecture Content sharing Data retrieval Distributed data sources Information management system Interdisciplinary data ReMIS ReMIS cloud
- 1.Inmon, W.H.: Building the Data Warehouse. Wiley, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Wiederhold, G.: Interoperation, mediation, and ontologies. In: Proceeding of the International Symposium on 5th Generation Computer Systems (FGCS 1994), Workshop on Heterogeneous Cooperative Knowledge-Bases, pp. 33–48 (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Lohrer, J.-Y., Kaltenthaler, D., Kröger, P., Obermaier, H., van der Meijden, C.: Reverse mediated information system: web-based retrieval of distributed, anonymous information. In: 16th International Conference on WWW/Internet 2017, Vilamoura, Portugal, pp. 63–70 (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Lohrer, J.-Y., Kaltenthaler, D., Richter, F., Sizova, T., Kröger, P., van der Meijden, C.: Retrieval of heterogeneous data from dynamic and anonymous sources. In: 8th IEEE International Conference Confluence 2018 on Cloud Computing, Data Science and Engineering, Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India, pp. 592–597 (2018)Google Scholar
- 9.Kaltenthaler, D., Lohrer, J.-Y., Richter, F., Kröger, P.: ReMIS cloud: a distributed information management system for interdisciplinary knowledge linkage. In: 8th International Conference on Internet Technologies and Society 2017, Sydney, Australia, pp. 107–114 (2017)Google Scholar