Oncotherapies for Cholangiocarcinoma
In this chapter we will consider the evidence behind the use of systemic chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy in biliary tract cancers. Although biliary tract cancers are relatively rare tumours, large-scale randomised clinical trials are feasible with multicentre collaboration and have helped to inform the evidence base. First-line chemotherapy for patients with advanced disease should be with gemcitabine and cisplatin, and the BILCAP study has recently led to a change in practice in the adjuvant setting. Despite these successes, second-line chemotherapy remains unproven, and patients should be enrolled into clinical trials where possible. Emerging and targeted systemic therapy will be discussed in the subsequent chapter.
KeywordsBiliary tract cancer Cholangiocarcinoma Chemotherapy Radiotherapy Chemoradiotherapy ABC-02 BILCAP
- 5.Valle JW, Wasan H, Johnson P, Jones E, Dixon L, Swindell R, et al. Gemcitabine alone or in combination with cisplatin in patients with advanced or metastatic cholangiocarcinomas or other biliary tract tumours: a multicentre randomised phase II study—The UK ABC-01 study. Br J Cancer. 2009;101(4):621–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Takada T, Amano H, Yasuda H, Nimura Y, Matsushiro T, Kato H, et al. Is postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy useful for gallbladder carcinoma? A phase III multicenter prospective randomized controlled trial in patients with resected pancreaticobiliary carcinoma. Cancer. 2002;95(8):1685–95.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Neoptolemos JP, Moore MJ, Cox TF, Valle JW, Palmer DH, McDonald AC, et al. Effect of adjuvant chemotherapy with fluorouracil plus folinic acid or gemcitabine vs observation on survival in patients with resected periampullary adenocarcinoma: the ESPAC-3 periampullary cancer randomized trial. JAMA. 2012;308(2):147–56.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Ben-Josef E, Guthrie KA, El-Khoueiry AB, Corless CL, Zalupski MM, Lowy AM, et al. SWOG S0809: a phase II intergroup trial of adjuvant capecitabine and gemcitabine followed by radiotherapy and concurrent capecitabine in extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and gallbladder carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33(24):2617–22.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Phelip JM, Vendrely V, Rostain F, Subtil F, Jouve JL, Gasmi M, et al. Gemcitabine plus cisplatin versus chemoradiotherapy in locally advanced biliary tract cancer: Federation Francophone de Cancerologie Digestive 9902 phase II randomised study. Eur J Cancer. 2014;50(17):2975–82.CrossRefGoogle Scholar