Evaluation and Analysis of the Features and Applications of 3D Model Platforms
As the 3D printer technology has been enhanced, 3D printers are more affordable and popularized. With the concepts of crowdsourcing, open source and sharing, 3D model platforms have become the highlight of the next wave of 3D printing industry. There are numerous articles on 3D printing technology, hardware and equipment, and materials. However, few articles deal with the topic of 3D model platforms for in-depth investigation. In this study, contents of those models that are available on 7 well-known 3D model platforms and their website functions are evaluated. The evaluation includes 4 primary dimensions which include website description, model file information, website function, and social interaction. These four dimensions are further classified into 22 items for the cross-verification of 3D model platforms. The application features of each 3D model platforms are identified. In addition, the three challenges for the future development of 3D model platforms are concluded as follows. (1) Insufficient format information of the file for download. (2) Unclear intellectual property (IP) licensing status of model files. (3) Security vulnerability of file information.
Keywords3D model platforms 3D printing Maker
This study received partly financial support from the Ministry of Science and Technology, under Grant No. MOST 106-2221-E-143-004.
- 1.Lipson, H., Kurman, M.: Fabricated: The New World of 3D Printing. Wiley, New Jersey (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Tanaka, H.: FabLife–デジタルファブリケーションから生まれる「つくりかたの未来. O’Reilly Japan, Inc., Tokyo (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Ting, Y.S.: Self-made era: 3D printing faces security issues, Makerpro.cc. https://makerpro.cc/2014/11/3d-printing-has-to-face-safety-issue/. Accessed 16 Nov 2017
- 5.Chang, J.L.: 3D Printer and Makers Business Model. Tunghai University, TaiChung (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Lin, D.S.: 3D printing development. Sci. Develop. 503, 32–37 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.OpenTech Co. Ltd., 3D Printer - Beginner’s Guide v.1 (eBook), pp. 31–38 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Huang, Y.P.: Extending 3D printing to Direct Digital Manufacturing - The case of XYZprinting, Inc. National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Taipei (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.vMaker, Do you know these 8 practical 3D model websites? https://vmaker.tw/archives/4818. Accessed 12 Jan 2018
- 10.Yusuf, B.: Free STL Files & 3D Printer Models – 34 Best Sites. https://all3dp.com/1/free-stl-files-3d-printer-models-3d-print-files-stl-download/#grabcad. Accessed 05 Jan 2018