Heuristic Evaluation and Usability Testing as Complementary Methods: A Case Study
Given the relevance that is taking the usability evaluation of software systems and especially web-based systems, the present work seeks to provide new evidence in the results obtained by applying combined techniques in usability evaluations. In this work, the process to schedule shipments using a web application was evaluated. First, a heuristic evaluation was performed and then a usability test with user. However, for this specific purpose, both tests will be applied independently to evaluate the results obtained. The evaluations were developed in an academic context.
KeywordsHuman-computer interaction Heuristic evaluation Usability evaluation Usability study Transactional web applications
This research was carried out thanks to the support of DHL Express Peru, which in its constant search for the excellence of its products and services, is committed to research and innovation of its processes in the IT department. The authors especially thank Hugo Moreno, IT Manager, Adriana Azopardo, Peru Country Manager, Ivan Hay, CIO Central and South America, and Hank Gibson, CIO Americas Region; for their recommendations and their insightful comments to this investigation.
- 1.Nielsen, J.: Usability 101: Introduction to Usability (2012). https://www.nngroup.com/articles/usability-101-introduction-to-usability/. Accessed 29 October 2017
- 2.Murillo, B., Vargas, S., Moquillaza, A., Fernández, L., Paz, F.: Usability Testing as a Complement of Heuristic Evaluation: A Case Study. In: Marcus, A., Wang, W. (eds.) DUXU 2017. LNCS, vol. 10288, pp. 434–444. Springer, Cham (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-58634-2_32CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Paz, F., Asrael Paz, F., Pow-Sang, J.A.: Evaluation of usability heuristics for transactional web sites: a comparative Study. Adv. Intell. Syst. Comput. 448, 1063–1073 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Paz, F., Villanueva, D., Pow-Sang, J.A.: Heuristic evaluation as a complement to usability testing: a case study in web domain. In: 2014 Tenth International Conference on Information Technology: New Generations (ITNG), pp 546–551, April 2015Google Scholar
- 6.Nielsen, J.: Severity Ratings for Usability Problems (1995). https://www.nngroup.com/articles/how-to-rate-the-severity-of-usability-problems/. Accessed 02 November 2017
- 10.Rubin, J., Chisnell, D.: Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests. Wiley, Hoboken (2008)Google Scholar