Usability Evaluation for Drone Mission Planning in Virtual Reality
There has been a lot of research conducted on human-robot interaction (HRI) with drones as well as human-computer interaction (HCI) with virtual reality (VR). However, little work was done on VR as HRI, even less for VR and drones in particular. In this paper, we evaluate the usability of VR interfaces used to control drones through working with UC Berkeley’s Immersive Semi-Autonomous Aerial Command System (ISAACS) project, which experiments with new ways for humans to interact with drones in a VR environment. Our experiment setting focuses on the drone mission planning phase and on creating an onboarding experience for new users. We develop a usability evaluation framework for the ISAACS VR system, and use this framework to conduct two iterations of user testing and prototyping with a human-centered design process.
KeywordsDrone UAV Virtual reality HCI Usability evaluation User interface
We would like to thank James O’Brien and the Berkeley ISAACS team for their guidance and support on this project, as well as the UAV at Berkeley club for introducing us to the world of drone flying. The project was supported in part by a Philippine-California Advanced Research Institutes (PCARI) grant.
- 1.Intel. Ground Control Station Users’ Feedback (2016). http://dronecode.github.io/UX-Design/Research/GCSUsersFeedback.pdf
- 3.Norman, D.A.: The Design of Everyday Things. MIT Press, Cambridge (1988)Google Scholar
- 6.VR Oxygen. VR Heuristic Evaluation Tool (2017). https://vroxygen.com/VRheuristics-tool-open.html
- 8.Cauchard, J.R., Zhai, K.Y., Spadafora, M., Landay, J.A.: Emotion encoding in human-drone interaction. In: 2016 11th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), Christchurch, pp. 263–270 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1109/hri.2016.7451761
- 11.KZero. Number of active virtual reality users worldwide from 2014 to 2018 (in millions). In: Statista - The Statistics Portal (n.d.). https://www.statista.com/statistics/426469/active-virtual-reality-users-worldwide/. Accessed 13 Mar 2017
- 12.System Reliability Center. Technique for Human Error Rate Prediction (THERP). https://src.alionscience.com/pdf/TechHumErrorRatePred.pdf