CT ΣΔ-Modulator Design Example
This chapter presents the high-level design of a Continuous-Time Sigma-Delta modulator, from specifications to system characterization. The aim of this exercise is to practice what covered in the book and to further familiarize with the Simulink® Toolbox functions. The reader should be aware that the design choices proposed are not the only possible solution and several alternative designs may be able to achieve the same, or even superior, performances. Therefore, thoughtful creativity is encouraged in the reader who wishes to experiment and challenge this simple design!
- 1.Schreier R, Temes GC. Understanding delta-sigma data converters. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons Inc; 2005.Google Scholar
- 2.Ortmanns M, Gerfers F. Continuous-time sigma-delta A/D conversion: fundamentals, performance limits and robust implementations. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg; 2006.Google Scholar
- 5.Reiss JD. Understanding sigma-delta modulation: the solved and unsolved issues. JAES. 2008;56(1/2):49–64.Google Scholar
- 7.Pavan S, Sankar P. A 110uW single bit audio continuous-time oversampled converter with 92.5dB dynamic range. In: IEEE, ESSCIRC ‘09, proceedings of, Issue Date: 14–18 September 2009.Google Scholar
- 8.Prasad A, et al. A 120 dB 300mW stereo audio A/D converter with 110 dB THD+N. In: Proceddings of the IEEE European solid-state circuits conference, p. 191–194, September 2004.Google Scholar
- 9.Geerts Y, Steyaert M, Sansen W. Design of multibit delta sigma A/D converters. New York: Kluwer Academic Publisher; 2002.Google Scholar
- 11.Cherry JA, Snelgrove WM. Continuous-time delta-sigma modulators for high- speed A/D conversion: theory, practice and fundamental performance limits. London: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.Breems L, Huijsing J. Continuous-time delta-sigma modulation for A/D conversion in radio receivers. London: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 2001.Google Scholar
- 16.MathWorks Inc. Variable fractional delay. [Online] https://it.mathworks.com/help/dsp/ref/variablefractionaldelay.html; 2016.
- 17.Hernandez L, et al. Modelling and optimization of low pass continuous-time sigma- delta modulators for clock jitter noise reduction. In: Proceedings of the 2004 international symposium on circuits and systems, ISCAS; 2004.Google Scholar
- 18.Rypestol L. Design and modelling of a high resolution, continuous-time delta-sigma ADC: in-depth noise considerations and optimization. NTNU, MSc Thesis, 2011. [Online] http://brage.bibsys.no/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11250/255454/438128_FULLTEXT01.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y.