Ethnicisation vs. Europeanisation: Promoting Good Governance in Divided States
This chapter examines good governance reforms in the Western Balkans in the context of these countries’ EU membership aspirations. The focus is on two ethnically divided power-sharing states, Macedonia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the reforms in the security sector, which were conducted under substantial EU influence. The contribution engages with arguments of Europeanisation and the enlargement literature, questioning the established asymmetry of Europeanisation through enlargement, with the EU providing good governance models and applicant states complying and ultimately internalising good governance values. Rather, based on the evidence of the two policy cases, it argues that in the ethnically divided context in the Western Balkans EU membership can contribute to further ethnicisation of politics, becoming a token in policy competition between ethnic groups.
- Anastasakis, Othon. 2005. The Europeanization of the Balkans. Brown Journal of World Affairs 12: 77.Google Scholar
- Ashdown, Paddy. 2006. Swords and Ploughshares: Bringing Peace to the 21st Century. London: Weidenfeld and Nicholson.Google Scholar
- Börzel, Tanja A. 2011. When Europeanization Hits Limited Statehood: The Western Balkans as a Test Case for the Transformative Power of Europe. Working Paper No. 30, September. Freie Universitat Berlin. Available at: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/kfgeu/kfgwp/wpseries/WorkingPaperKFG_30.pdf. Accessed 3 Oct 2017.
- Börzel, Tanja A., and Thomas Risse. 2003. Conceptualizing the Domestic Impact of Europe. In The Politics of Europeanization, ed. K. Featherstone and C. Radaelli, 57–80. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Google Scholar
- Brenton, Paul, Francesca Di Mauro, and Matthias Lücke. 1999. Economic Integration and FDI: An Empirical Analysis of Foreign Investment in the EU and in Central and Eastern Europe. Empirica 26 (2): 95–121.Google Scholar
- Cierco, Teresa Maria. 2016. The Security Sector Reform in Macedonia: An Externally Driven Process? Southeastern Europe (June). https://doi.org/10.1163/18763332-0401025.
- Coppieters, Bruno. 2004. Europeanization and Conflict Resolution: Case Studies from the European Periphery, vol. 3. Ghent: Academia Press. Google Scholar
- Dedman, Martin. 2006. The Origins and Development of the European Union 1945–1995: A History of European Integration. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. Google Scholar
- Dinan, Desmond. 2005. Ever Closer Union: An Introduction to European Integration. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers.Google Scholar
- European Commission. 2004. Final Assessment Report. Financial, Organization and Administrative Assessment of the BIH Police Forces and the State Border Service. Sarajevo, June 30. Available at: http://www.delbih.ec.europa.eu/files/docs/publications/en/FunctRew/BiHPoliceFinalReport2004-06-30ENPRINT.pdf. Accessed 20 Nov 2010.
- European Commission. 2016. 2016 Communication on EU Enlargement Policy. Brussels, November 9. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/sites/near/files/20161109_strategy_paper_en.pdf. Accessed 30 Oct 2017.
- Framework Agreement. Basic Principles. 13 August 2001. English Version Available at: http://faq.macedonia.org/politics/. Accessed 9 Nov 2013.
- Government of Kosovo. 2013. First Agreement of Principles Governing the Normalisation of Relations, April 19. Available at: http://www.kryeministri-ks.net/repository/docs/First_agreement_of_principles_governing_the_normalization_of_relations_April_19,_2013_Brussels_en.pdf Accessed 3 Oct 2017.
- Ioannides, Isabelle. 2009. The EU Police Mission (EUPOL Proxima) and the European Union Police Advisory Team (EUPAT) in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. In European Security and Defence Policy: The First Ten Years (1999–2009), ed. G. Grevi, D. Helly, and D. Keohane, 187–199. Paris: European Union Institute for Security Studies. Google Scholar
- Kochler-Koch, Beate, and Berthold Rittberg. 2006. The ‘Governance Turn’ in EU Studies. JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies 44 (1, September), 27–49.Google Scholar
- Law, David. 2007. Intergovernmental Organisations and Security Sector Reforms. London: Transaction Publishers.Google Scholar
- Lejour, Arjan, Ruud A. De Mooij, and Richard Nahuis. 2001. EU Enlargement: Economic Implications for Countries and Industries. CESifo Working Paper Series No. 585, October. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=287847.
- Mattli, Walter, and Thomas Plumper. 2002. The Demand-Side Politics of EU Enlargement: Democracy and the Application for EU Membership. Journal of European Public Policy 9 (4), 550–574.Google Scholar
- Mayer-Rieckh, Alexander. 2007. Vetting to Prevent Future Abuses: Reforming the Police, Courts, and Prosecutor’s Offices in Bosnia and Herzegovina. In Justice as Prevention: Vetting Public Employees in Transitional Societies, ed. A. Mayer-Rieckh and P. Greiff. New York: Social Science Research Council.Google Scholar
- Office of the High Representative. 2004. Decision Establishing the Police Restructuring Commission. Sarajevo, July 5. Available at: http://www.ohr.int/ohr-dept/rule-of-law-pillar/prc/prc-key-doc/default.asp?content_id=34149. Accessed 9 Nov 2013.
- Radio Free Europe. 2006. Дел од градоначалниците сметаат дека општините ќе имаат премалку надлежности [Some mayors claim that municipalities will have too few powers], October 5. Available at: https://www.slobodnaevropa.mk/a/1481208.html. Accessed 3 Oct 2017.
- Risse, Thomas. 2004. Social Constructivism and European Integration. na. Google Scholar
- Rosamond, Ben. 2000. Theories of European Integration. New York: St. Martin’s Press.Google Scholar
- Schimmelfennig, Frank. 2001. The Community Trap: Liberal Norms, Rhetorical Action, and the Eastern Enlargement of the European Union. International Organisation 55 (1, Winter): 47–80.Google Scholar
- Schimmelfennig, Frank, and Ulrich Sedelmeier. 2004. Governance by Conditionality: EU Rule Transfer to the Candidate Countries of Central and Eastern Europe. Journal of European Public Policy 11 (4), 661–679.Google Scholar
- Sjursen, Helene (ed.). 2007. Questioning EU Enlargement: Europe in Search of Identity. London: Routledge. Google Scholar
- Smith, Karen E. 2014. European Union Foreign Policy in a Changing World, 3rd ed. Polity Press, London, UK.Google Scholar
- Subotic, Jelena. 2011. Europe Is a State of Mind: Identity and Europeanization in the Balkans. International Studies Quarterly 55 (2, June), 309–330.Google Scholar
- Tocci, Nathalie. 2007. The EU and Conflict Resolution: Promoting Peace in the Backyard. Abingdon: Oxfordshire (OXON).Google Scholar
- Tocci, Nathalie (ed.). 2008. Who Is a Normative Foreign Policy Actor? Brussels: Centre for European Policy Studies.Google Scholar
- UNDP. Early Warning Reports 2004–2007. Macedonia. Available at: https://reliefweb.int/report/former-yugoslav-republic-macedonia/macedonia-early-warning-report-mar-2005. Accessed 3 Oct 2017.
- Urwin, Derek W. 2014. The Community of Europe: A History of European Integration Since 1945. London and New York: Routledge. Google Scholar
- Zakon za Policija, 2006. Pravo. 3 November 2006. Available at: http://www.pravo.org.mk/documentDetail.php?id=699. Accessed 3 Oct 2017.