Whole-Body Robotic Simulator of the Elderly for Evaluating Robotic Devices for Nursing Care
This paper describes the development of whole-body robotic simulator of elderly person for evaluating robotics devices for nursing care. To improve the quality of life of the elderly persons, physical assistance, such as transfer assistance, movement assistance, toileting assistance is important. It is also important to reduce the workload of the care givers in the aging society. In recent years, assistive robotic devices for nursing care have been developed and commercialized for such purposes. However, such assistive robotic devices have not become popular in the care facilities yet. One of the reason is that it is still difficult to evaluate the effects of the devices on the care receivers and care givers. Especially it is necessary to quantitatively evaluate the effect of the devices on the human body in the viewpoint of safety and comfort. We have been developing a whole-body robotic system to simulate the pose and motion of elderly person. The purpose of the system is to realize quantitative physical evaluation of robotics devices for nursing care on the human body. Experimental results of preliminary evaluation of assistive robotic devices are also indicated.
KeywordsHumanoid robot Human simulator Evaluation Robotic devices for nursing care
This research was supported by the Robotic Devices for Nursing Care Project of the Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED).
- 1.United Nations: World Population Prospects The 2012 Revision (2013). https://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/publications/Files/WPP2012_HIGHLIGHTS.pdf
- 3.ROBOHELPER SASUKE, Muscle Cop. (in Japanese). http://robotcare.jp/?page_id=110
- 4.Mochimaru, M., Kouchi, M., Miyata, N., Tada, M., Yoshida, H., et al.: Dhaiba: Functional Human Models to Represent Variation of Shape, Motion and Subjective Assessment. SAE DHM, 2006–01-2345 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Yoshiyasu, Y., Ayusawa, K., Yoshida, E., Yoshio, M., Endo, Y.: Forward dynamics simulation of human figures on assistive devices using geometric skin deformation model. In: Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), pp. 2442–2445 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Omer, A.M.M., Kondo, H., Lim, H., Takanishi, A.: Development of walking support system based on dynamic simulation. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (Robio 2008), pp. 137–142 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Official curriculum for dentistry by robot, rst in the world. More humanized Showa Hanako 2debut (2011). http://www.tmsuk.co.jp/topic/2011/06/detail15.tml
- 10.Niiyama, R., Nishikawa, S., Kuniyoshi, Y.: Athlete robot with applied human muscle activation patterns for bipedal running. In: IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids 2010), pp. 498–503 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Digital Human Laboratory, AIST. Japanese Body Dimension Data. https://www.dh.aist.go.jp/database/fbodyDB/