Method of User Interface Design Based on Semantic Approach
Eliminate the reason and achieve the preservation of the meaning of user actions in the domain, and fully meet the user requirements in the interface of the information system is possible if to create a methodological framework (a general methodological description) of user interfaces development that will be a common sign form of models organization and will be understandable to all participants of the interface development process, including the user. It is proposed to represent the user actions in the domain in the form of mechanisms of action and on the bases of them to build a process of interface design. The paper presents the method of user interface design based on semantic approach and demonstrates a short example of its usage.
KeywordsUser interface design Semantic approach User activity Table model Design space Mechanism of action
The reported study was funded by RFBR according to the research project № 17-07-00099 A.
- 1.Standish Group 2015 Chaos Report - Q&A with Jennifer Lynch. https://www.infoq.com/articles/standish-chaos-2015. Accessed 19 Dec 2017
- 2.Crystal, A., Ellington, B.: Task analysis and human-computer interaction: approaches, techniques, and levels of analysis. In: Proceedings of the Tenth Americas Conference on Information Systems, New York, August 2004Google Scholar
- 3.Muller, M.J.: Participatory design: the third space in HCI. In: The human-Computer Interaction Handbook, pp. 1051–1068. L. Erlbaum Associates Inc., Hillsdale (2003). ISBN 0-8058-3838-4Google Scholar
- 4.Trætteberg, H.: Model-based User Interface Design, p. 204 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Rogozov, Y., Sviridov, A.: The concept of methodological information systems development. In: 8th IEEE International Conference on Application of Information and Communication Technologies, AICT 2014 - Conference Proceedings, vol. 8 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Belikova, S., Rogozov, Y., Borisova, E.: Semantic approach to information system user interface design. In: 17th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM 2017, Conference Proceedings, 29 June–5 July 2017, vol. 17, issue 21, pp. 673–680 (2017). www.sgem.org, https://doi.org/10.5593/sgem2017/21/s07.086, ISBN 978-619-7408-01-0, ISSN 1314-2704
- 7.Kaptelinin, V., Nardi, B.A.: Acting with Technology: Activity Theory and Interaction Design, p. 334. The MIT Press, Cambridge (2006). ISBN 978-0-262-11298-7Google Scholar
- 8.Katifori, A., et al.: Ontology visualization methods—a survey. ACM Comput. Surv. 39(4), Article 10 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Little, A.: Storyboarding in the Software Design Process. https://uxmag.com/articles/storyboarding-in-the-software-design-process. Accessed 13 Jan 2018
- 10.Belousova, S., Rogozov, Y., Sviridov, A.: Technology of using properties and mechanisms of actions in user interface design. In: 15th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference Surveying Geology and Mining Ecology Management, SGEM 2015, Albena, Bulgaria, vol. 1, issue 2, pp. 339–345 (2015)Google Scholar