Use of Echocardiography in Patients with Intracardiac Devices
Intracardiac ventricular assist devices (VADs) are increasingly being used in the management of patients with severe heart failure refractory to medical therapy. In the CCU, echocardiography is utilized to confirm appropriate position and function of intracardiac VAD components as part of routine surveillance or in response to concerning signs and symptoms. This chapter will focus on the use of echocardiography in adult patients with durable continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) as well as short-term, percutaneous left- and right-sided Impella VADs.
KeywordsImpella Assist devices Heart failure
- 1.Stainback RF, Estep JD, Agler DA, Birks EJ, Bremer M, Hung J, Kirkpatrick JN, Rogers JG, Shah NR, American Society of Echocardiography. Echocardiography in the management of patients with left ventricular assist devices: recommendations from the American Society of Echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015;28(8):853–909.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Uriel N, Morrison KA, Garan AR, Kato TS, Yuzefpolskaya M, Latif F, Restaino SW, Mancini DM, Flannery M, Takayama H, John R, Colombo PC, Naka Y, Jorde UP. Development of a novel echocardiography ramp test for speed optimization and diagnosis of device thrombosis in continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices: the Columbia ramp study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;60(18):1764–75.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 3.Abiomed, Inc. (2017). Impella ventricular support systems for use during cardiogenic shock and high-risk PCI: instructions for use and clinical reference manual. Retrieved from http://abiomed-private.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/files/15039258016c46c7de0add7d0ed814691eec8376c8.pdf.
- 4.Burzotta F, Trani C, Doshi SN, Townend J, van Geuns RJ, Hunziker P, Schieffer B, Karatolios K, Møller JE, Ribichini FL, Schäfer A, Henriques JP. Impella ventricular support in clinical practice: Collaborative viewpoint from a European expert user group. Int J Cardiol. 2015;201:684–91.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Abiomed, Inc. (2017). Impella RP with the Automated Impella Controller: instructions for use & clinical reference manual. Retrieved from http://abiomed-private.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/files/1503926088a9505afa2213ed05af2f8c9b37a35ff9.pdf.